Discuss Garden Shed Electrics. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeymoo

Hi all.. Looking for some words of wisdom!
I'm looking to run an electric supply to my garden shed.
My shed is approx 8mtrs from the house. My cu is situated on the other side of the house so not practical to run cable from there.. My cu is already RCD protected on all circuits. I need a max load of no more then 13amp (1x Double socket and 1x Light fitting) Am i right in saying i can run a fused spur (13amp) from a kitchen socket thats on an outside wall. Into a suitable IP rated junction box outside. Then run SWA to the shed (600mm deep with marker tape.) into the shed..
(notifiable work) Any advice would be very helpful..
Cheers.

Cheers Jason. Just another quick question or two. The fused spur doesnt need to be rcd type does it? since my cu is already protected. Also can i spur off the double socket in the shed with a 3amp spur to supply the lights?

Hi Jason

Yes that's fine. No need for an additional RCD if protected at CU. Yes you can spur off to supply the lights.

Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My understanding but willing to be educated !!

Just a thought.

when taking extra supplies from existing circuits and especially kitchens or utility rooms i make it a habit to check the possible maximum loads that are expected for this circuit. Kitchens and utility rooms can draw very close to the 32A MCB due to the amount of appliances available to us.

The last thing you would want is for your shed to be drawing 5amps and this small amount actually tips the balance and trips the whole kitchen. especially just as the mrs is doing the sunday roast.

Mind you, depends on the capabilties of the cook is suppose. could be an excude for a good curry!:D

Yeah thats a very good point! Will check that out. I am sure my kitchen is run on a double ring.
Another question for anybody that can offer help..
Whats the best way to exit the house with the cable. Bearing in mind i will be coming off a fused spur indoors. Can i get a junction box for outside that will allow me to enter from the back (ie from the spur) then gland off for the SWA?

Yeah thats a very good point! Will check that out. I am sure my kitchen is run on a double ring.
Another question for anybody that can offer help..
Whats the best way to exit the house with the cable. Bearing in mind i will be coming off a fused spur indoors. Can i get a junction box for outside that will allow me to enter from the back (ie from the spur) then gland off for the SWA?
terminate into an adaptable box outside and take the cable straight through the wall into the spur ;)

hi guys,
i have a very similar problem, so thought it best to post here instead of starting a new thread.
i want to put some decking lights in and have a 13A socket outside. there is a nice socket in the kitchen on an exterior wall and its part of a brand new ring with RCD protection.
if i understand this correctly, i can put a fused spur on the wall from the socket , sent the cable outside, armoured cable to the weatherproof socket, and spur off that for the decking lights?
surely thats a spur on a spur?
or if i go for a decking transformer with a plug, just put a double weatherproof socket?
is this correct?

hi guys,
i have a very similar problem, so thought it best to post here instead of starting a new thread.
i want to put some decking lights in and have a 13A socket outside. there is a nice socket in the kitchen on an exterior wall and its part of a brand new ring with RCD protection.
if i understand this correctly, i can put a fused spur on the wall from the socket , sent the cable outside, armoured cable to the weatherproof socket, and spur off that for the decking lights?
surely thats a spur on a spur?
or if i go for a decking transformer with a plug, just put a double weatherproof socket?
is this correct?
Take a look at this link mate.Can you put the spur next to the socket and from there to a weatherproof adaptable box and then take your armour to the supply for the lights
Deck Lights, stainless steel LED designer recessed :: www.deck-lighting.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,
thanks for your reply. those lights are what i'm looking for.
i forgot to mention - the decking area is seperated form the back of the house by a small lawn. the distance is probably about 2 metres.
so from the weatherproof adaptable box on the outside kitchen wall the armoured cable will travel to
the socket location. this will be for a radio perhaps, maybe sometimes a strimmer.
so where i fall down is knowing where to connect the lights up.
as the armoured cable is off a fused spur, surely i cannot spur off from the outside socket? will i have to restrict my choice of decking light to one that has a plug on it and simply install a double socket in the decking area?

edit:
also, what cable sizes should be used here?
the connection from the socket to the switched fused spur will be clipped direct so 4.0mm (37A)
the connection through the insulated wall to the exterior weatherproof junction box 6mm (35A)
the armoured cable 6mm (41A)

Hi there.

If as you say you intend placing a fused spur next to the socket outlet in the kitchen, then the max loading that can be drawn from this is 13A. No need to go for 6mm armoured through the wall to the polybox 2.5mm is more than adequate for that and for going up to the weatherproof socket outlet.

thanks for your replies guys. the cable ratings were staring me in the face really weren;t they ? lol !
as for the DNO, of course they will have to be consulted - but at this stage i am more interested in the planning stage.
so having got as far as the socket out on the decking - how about wiring in the lights?
is there another option apart from getting one with a plug on it?

and as for exporting the earth - what would you suggest? should i really get an earth spike driven into the ground?
i know of quite a few external installations larger than this that have not done this - i assume they will have to rectify it if they are ever inspected?

well as for the exporting of the earth and DNO approval, john whitfields' electricians guide advises :

"the electricity supply company should be consulted to ascertain their special requirements if the supply system uses the PME (TN-C-S) system"

well, this ones a TNS system, so an external earth shouldn't be required ..?

any thoughts on wiring the lights in instead on using a plug?

edit: ho ho my DNS have no idea at all......and i quote "we've never heard of this TNS thing before, you know"
i even waited whilst they phoned round their departments to try and find an answer........lol lo l lol ololol

Reply to Garden Shed Electrics. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net