Discuss Garden Shed Installation: Conflicting advice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there have been many threads on this previously, but I am having a problem understanding ome of the detail.

The situation is this, I am not a qualified electrician but have dabbled around the house for many years, although doing only very basic stuff as I know my limitations.

An eldery relative has asked me to instal some electrics in her shed, but I have declined saying there are too many rules and regulations these days and she is better to get somebody qualified.

She has agreed to this but was nervous about being ripped off so asked me to be present when the spark came around to do a quote.

The guy turned up and advised he would run 4mm T&E in plastic conduit from the main consumer unit out to the shed (about 10m run by my estimation) and would then fit a 2 position garage type consumer unit, with a 16a MCB for the two double sockets she wants, and a 6A for the single eletric light (60w bulb).

The guy did not specify how he would wire up the two sockets, nor anything about earthing ect.

He quote a price of £350 which seemed very steep considering its probably less than a days work, but otherwise what he suggested seemd to be what I was expecting.

Anyway, she mentioned the job to a friend of a friend who is a spark for the local Housing Authority. He came around and he said, there was no need to go to all that trouble and that she could either simply run an extension lead into the shed and use that, or if she wanted permanent wiring, it could be run as a fused spur off a ring main in the house and the lighting circuit teed off it as another spur in the shed. I asked about it needing an RCD, and he said it wouldn't be needed as the ringmain is fed via an RCD in the main consumer unit.

I know that both ways will work, but I am not sure if the second way is legal/ "with in regs" so to speak?

BTW, the second guy is not offering to do the work, but suggesting we get the original spark to quote for a simpler therefore cheaper job? Running the cabling tyhis way will reduce the cable run to about 5m..

I will add the shed is wooden so there should be no special earthing issues, plus, the two double sockets will only be used to run a fridge, tumble drier and lawn mower, so no excessive current draw..

Regards,

Peter

trying to think of what to reply here, but not sure I wanna get involved tbh. the best advice anybody here can give you is to get at least 3 electricians round and get them to give her a quote.
providing they are willing to test+certify the job, all should be well...

Having a "spur" to an outbuilding from an existing circuit is not best practice IMHO and a dedicated circuit is the better way. That said either way isn't ideal if the new spur or circuit are on a "shared" RCD as when problems outside start, which they more than likely will, if there isn't DP isolation involved you could be in trouble. I would recommend another quote or two.

In principle both do the same job but I would prefer a seperate unit in the shed if doing it myself -- thats just my preference!

Whichever option you go for its notifiable work so ensure the job is reported and you get a certificate!

Hi,

I know there have been many threads on this previously, but I am having a problem understanding ome of the detail.

The situation is this, I am not a qualified electrician but have dabbled around the house for many years, although doing only very basic stuff as I know my limitations.

An eldery relative has asked me to instal some electrics in her shed, but I have declined saying there are too many rules and regulations these days and she is better to get somebody qualified.

She has agreed to this but was nervous about being ripped off so asked me to be present when the spark came around to do a quote.

The guy turned up and advised he would run 4mm T&E in plastic conduit from the main consumer unit out to the shed (about 10m run by my estimation) and would then fit a 2 position garage type consumer unit, with a 16a MCB for the two double sockets she wants, and a 6A for the single eletric light (60w bulb).

The guy did not specify how he would wire up the two sockets, nor anything about earthing ect.

He quote a price of £350 which seemed very steep considering its probably less than a days work, but otherwise what he suggested seemd to be what I was expecting.

Anyway, she mentioned the job to a friend of a friend who is a spark for the local Housing Authority. He came around and he said, there was no need to go to all that trouble and that she could either simply run an extension lead into the shed and use that, or if she wanted permanent wiring, it could be run as a fused spur off a ring main in the house and the lighting circuit teed off it as another spur in the shed. I asked about it needing an RCD, and he said it wouldn't be needed as the ringmain is fed via an RCD in the main consumer unit.

I know that both ways will work, but I am not sure if the second way is legal/ "with in regs" so to speak?

BTW, the second guy is not offering to do the work, but suggesting we get the original spark to quote for a simpler therefore cheaper job? Running the cabling tyhis way will reduce the cable run to about 5m..

I will add the shed is wooden so there should be no special earthing issues, plus, the two double sockets will only be used to run a fridge, tumble drier and lawn mower, so no excessive current draw..

Regards,

Peter

Still enough to overload a 13a fuse if the shed is supplied from a fused spur. I would agree with the first spark,it should go back to the CU...although I would use SWA externally,not PVC cable in conuit.
I would also suggest the quoted price is reasonable if the job is being done correctly.

Reply to Garden Shed Installation: Conflicting advice? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net