Discuss Gas fitter jailed for accidental death in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Scary stuff. Mistakes are easy to come by. As Alastair moody would say.... Constant vigilance!!! :( how sad is it that I'm quoting Harry potter :-( haha

a very sad event for all concerned.....the reminders are there though for all to see/read.....it would seem that maybe Mr Hartley was on an end of day rush to get this boiler working?....so we dont know what pressures he was under from an impatient client do we....but even so....its almost unforgivable......this is what i say about those that dont inspect and test their work, issue fake certs (if at all)... and are clearly incompetent to carry out the work.....

If you read through all of the news reports, one of the mid-trial ones has him saying that he hadn't fitted a set of screws - one would presume for a collar of sorts - and couldn't say why not as he would have done normally.

What a waste of a young womans life.
A family destroyed so a man can get away from the job 10 minutes early.
This was not an apprentice but a skilled mature man who knew the risk of not connecting the flue up properly.

this happens more than you think,my old chap was a top plumber and taught me a lot,i,ve lost count of the number of botched plumbing jobs (gas) that i,ve seen one local bloke asked me to look at his fire as it kept going out and would only relight after the door to living room was left open,did a smoke test on flue and it was blocked, checked on roof and found roofer had removed "redundant " chimney pot and capped flue with a concrete slab! another was a well known local plumber/gas fitter who was removing a gas heater at a friends house,I watched him cut the gas pipe to cap it then realise he had no solder,so got him some out of my van,when he finished and packed his gear away I asked about a drop test which he hadnt done,he then said he had not done one before starting so if there was a leak he had no idea if it was there already or he had caused it.Then people wonder why I get wound up when they say "you have to be qualified to work on gas"from what I,ve seen I,m safer than some of these so called professionals.

I saw this on another programme which was a bit more indepth, even though it states 'from his usual high standards' it was more of a bodgit and scarper and some of his other work is qestionable, the report paints him in a more proffesional light due to his good defense team but in reality he was doing a very poor standard of work altogether, he deserved the full force of the law shame he'll serve half his time for destroying that family.
I would put this on the same par as a sparkie leaving exposed live wires under a bath and no rcd protection, silent unseen killer waiting for the water to leak one day because the bath sealant has corroded.

I saw this on another programme which was a bit more indepth, even though it states 'from his usual high standards' it was more of a bodgit and scarper and some of his other work is qestionable, the report paints him in a more proffesional light due to his good defense team but in reality he was doing a very poor standard of work altogether, he deserved the full force of the law shame he'll serve half his time for destroying that family.
I would put this on the same par as a sparkie leaving exposed live wires under a bath and no rcd protection, silent unseen killer waiting for the water to leak one day because the bath sealant has corroded.
Exactly I think some of them think they can bodge what they want because they have a gas safe ticket,yes i,ve fitted gas cookers for mates and i,m always extremely carefull more so as I don,t have a gas safe ticket,however I am not doing it for a fee and also under the gas act you dont have to be gas safe regd, just a competent person,which I am as I was shown how to do it and had it drummed into me constantly what can happen if you get it wrong,

this happens more than you think,my old chap was a top plumber and taught me a lot,i,ve lost count of the number of botched plumbing jobs (gas) that i,ve seen one local bloke asked me to look at his fire as it kept going out and would only relight after the door to living room was left open,did a smoke test on flue and it was blocked, checked on roof and found roofer had removed "redundant " chimney pot and capped flue with a concrete slab! another was a well known local plumber/gas fitter who was removing a gas heater at a friends house,I watched him cut the gas pipe to cap it then realise he had no solder,so got him some out of my van,when he finished and packed his gear away I asked about a drop test which he hadnt done,he then said he had not done one before starting so if there was a leak he had no idea if it was there already or he had caused it.Then people wonder why I get wound up when they say "you have to be qualified to work on gas"from what I,ve seen I,m safer than some of these so called professionals.
yeah well whoever installed that fire....whether new or a like for like replacement should have conducted a spillage test first to ensure there was enough pull....

thats zone 0 Dark....that means 0 responsibility...lol....

and for leaking joints a smatch or smoke pellet should find it....

yep that was the way my old chap did it,ran a lighter along the pipe,as it has to be between 5 and 15 % to explode,me I have a gas leak detector(electronic) and smoke pellets for flues,plus a manometer for initial checks.

I have no sympathy for this guy, he didn't do his job properly and someone died. It's only right and proper that he goes to jail, pity it's not longer in my opinion.
I'm looking forward to the day when we don't see cowboy sparks on TV but in the dock for sentencing.

Reply to Gas fitter jailed for accidental death in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock