Discuss Gas meter query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I realise the condition of the gas meter is not relevant to an EICR, but while testing at a consumer unit above the gas meter in the photo, I kept wondering about the inverted-U section of lead pipe between the meter and pipe going into the floor.

The pipe is in a position where it is liable to have stuff piled on top of it (essentially a broom cupboard off the kitchen). It appears to have a few knocks & dents. If this lead pipe fractures, apart from the consumer unit just above it, the CH boiler is just above that. The shut off value is at the back of the cupboard at the bottom.

Can anyone who dabbles with gas put my mind at rest and tell me the customer should not be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_20191026_104941 (003).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
dont worry about it if there is a pipe crack ,you will sitting on your bed with a cup of coco saying it told them so .lol. most gas pipes go in concrete and then towards the wooden floor ,seen some board s with wood worm in them ,better to be on concrete floor .

Hi - if you’d like to find out if it’s ok or not, you could perhaps try Cadent’s non emergency helpline on 0345 835 1111 for advice. If there was any hint of gas smell when you opened the cupboard, in my experience it’s a leak and then one should call the emergency number (24/7) 0800 111 999.

Hi - if you’d like to find out if it’s ok or not, you could perhaps try Cadent’s non emergency helpline on 0345 835 1111 for advice. If there was any hint of gas smell when you opened the cupboard, in my experience it’s a leak and then one should call the emergency number (24/7) 0800 111 999.

No, I didn't smell any gas, I've no reason to think it is leaking at the moment. It's just that I have in my mind that lead pipes for gas are somewhat out-of-date and easily damaged, but I'm happy to be told that is not the case!

Reply to Gas meter query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net