Discuss Gas Safe- Electrical Connections in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

LankyWill

I follow a few plumbers on youtube throughout their daily job tasks etc etc, just watched a video and the bloke claimed you had to be gas safe to remove a boiler cover.

I never knew this and i have connected and carried out PCB fault finding on a fair few, i must be a rule breaker.

I follow a few plumbers on youtube throughout their daily job tasks etc etc, just watched a video and the bloke claimed you had to be gas safe to remove a boiler cover.

I never knew this and i have connected and carried out PCB fault finding on a fair few, i must be a rule breaker.
As long as you don't post it on the internet you'll probably get away with it.

In all seriousness, however, electrical connections made by plumbers don't inspire me with confidence.

Every big installer like BG, Help-link, swale heating, glow-green, impra gas etc send electricians around to jobs to wire heating systems. Most are done after the plumber has been and left. I wonder how they get away with it...I've also been told the same as you've just heard.

I think it's something to do with some boilers having integral gas parts built into the cover. Bells are ringing about a similar thread in the last 12 months.
Every one I have ever been into has not been of this design though.

I get the internals are obviously gas related but the cover is usually just a piece of pressed steel with screws underneath. I know it forms a seal but its hardly rocket science, ive been to some jobs where the plumber has connected everything and its death trap. Un-sleeved earths, poor terminations, about an inch of copper showing in every terminal plus they fail to grasp how it works.

I am gas safe so can tell you its to do with the seal that is around the cover. Most modern domestic boilers are "room sealed" i.e. the air for combustion and the flue gases all come from outside. This is often achieved by the boiler cover as the air intake for the boiler is behind the cover so there are seals around the edges. When the cover is removed these seals can be dislodged or fall apart. Its common to carry spare rolls of seal to replace them. Without this seal the design is compromised as if there is a fault in the burner area flue gases can come back into the air intake and out into the room if the seal is damaged, thats it really.

I am gas safe so can tell you its to do with the seal that is around the cover. Most modern domestic boilers are "room sealed" i.e. the air for combustion and the flue gases all come from outside. This is often achieved by the boiler cover as the air intake for the boiler is behind the cover so there are seals around the edges. When the cover is removed these seals can be dislodged or fall apart. Its common to carry spare rolls of seal to replace them. Without this seal the design is compromised as if there is a fault in the burner area flue gases can come back into the air intake and out into the room if the seal is damaged, thats it really.

Sounds like poor design to me

Trying to remember,but i am fairly certain,all of the models i have fiddled with,have not required a gas-seal cover,to be removed in order to supply a power,or timer,etc.

Bearing in mind,what an environment behind one of these covers could contain,and the issues a poorly made supply connection could cause,it makes sense.

Some of the conductors,which enter such areas,are gas-tight,and designed to resist migration,etc.

A standard twin and earth cable,is not designed for this.

Maybe the manufacturers need to split the cover so only electricians can access the connections, and only gassafe engineers can remove the part with the air seal.
Doesn't help with faultfinding though.

Best bet is to get a Heating Engineer in who is qualified, experienced and insured to work on both!
That's where a lot of customers go wrong. They get a spark who is clueless about Heating/Plumbing and the controls or a Plumber who is clueless about the Electrical side.

No one is supposed to remove the boiler combustion cover unless an rgi or................homeowner.

There is no need to remove the combustion cover to make in electrical connections that power up or fire the boiler.
This was my thought also.

On modern boilers the external cover is just a mechanical shield and does not impair on any part of the integrity of the combustion chamber. I don't see how removing this cover is considered working on "gas" though I can see how "red tape" mentality would deem this so. - Since a gas fired boiler is a gas appliance then interpreting the rules one could state that even just removing the external cover is considered "working on" the appliance.

I'm not gas safe and would never consider working on the gas part of any appliance. But I'm a fully qualified experienced electrician and more than competent to electrically connect up the appliance and have done so on hundreds of occasions.

The world has gone mad, where has the common sense gone?

if the seal is damaged such that it's not able to form a good seal it's At Risk as a minimum, you would need to be able to identify that and act accordingly. Also you are supposed to do certain checks including flue and gas rate after doing any "work on a gas appliance", which includes removing the combustion cover.

The trend on modern boilers is actually to combine the chamber and outer casing as that reduces cost, weight, size and complexity. They are assuming all people working on gas or electrical sides are competent to both, so wouldn't separate the two covers on a cost sensistive domestic boiler.

Isn’t a ‘heating engineer’ a Part P plumber? As we all know these plastic electricians can’t be classed as competent electricians.

heating engineer’ a Part P plumber

No. When the acops came in the 80s there was an essential electrics module which was later dropped. Plumbing apprentices have been doing something similar for some years. That module was intended to enable plumbers to carryout electrical work on a heating systems, nothing more.

Essential electrics is/has made a return in gas acs training.

Isn’t a ‘heating engineer’ a Part P plumber?

No.
It is someone who is qualified and competent to design, specify, install and commission all aspects of Heating and or Domestic hot water systems.
In our case that includes Industrial, Commercial and Domestic premises.
We also get involved in Mechanical Engineering from time to time.
They can come from different backgrounds too e.g. Electronics, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas, Oil, Mechanical Engineers etc etc.

Last edited:
its the internal cover that you HAVE to have gas safe to remove , where the flue and "gas bits" are

If you remove the cover on a lot of modern Boilers, you disturb the seal that makes the appliance 'room sealed' as has previously been said.
Room sealed means it is fairly well sealed from the room the appliance is situated in. The appliance draws air for combustion from outside.
Due to the volume of air that can be pulled down the air intake section of the flue pipe the appliance will burn differently with the case off than it will with the case on. When the case is on, there is a slightly negative pressure inside as only a measured amount of air can enter the appliance. Without the case there is more air available because there is less restriction. That alters the pressure inside the appliance and in turn this alters the products of combustion from the appliance.
The reason you are supposed to be Gas Safe Registered is because you are supposed to be considered 'competent' in testing how the appliance is performing after it has been worked on, meaning that you 'know' it was left burning safe.
On most modern Boilers the seal is also the insulating material inside the front cover.

Hope that reads right and makes sense!

To add to that, If you remove any cover that is an integral part of the Boiler, you are considered to have 'worked' on it.
That means that you are deemed to be responsible for the safety of the Boiler.
Although a gas escape may not have been caused by you, that is difficult to prove after the event. That is why we test for tightness before and after working on one regardless of whether we actually worked on the Gas carrying components.

Reply to Gas Safe- Electrical Connections in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock