Discuss Gas safety equipotential bond in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike P

Hi chaps my first post so please bear with me.
I am just undertaking a periodic on a flat which is over the top of its integral garage in a block of three. It has a concrete floor and the gas meter is on outside wall of garage below.
I was checking the main safety bonds and could not find the gas bond.
As I understand it should be within one meter of the gas meter.
I found it eventually behind the gas cooker and cut off and poked back in the wall. The Corgi fitter terminated the gas supply only last week. I have since re made the bond.
As I understand it does not comply with the regs so should it be recorded as does not comply or should I rewire this bonding conductor.
I hope this makes sense.

Mike

Hi Mark.
My question really is. Is it a note on the report or is it that serious that it needs to be re cabled?

It's a note on the cert ................ that's all you need to do

Mark

i agree, you are only reporting on the exisitng installation. Rememebr the reg says SHOULD be within 600mm of the meter, and MUST be before any branches in pipework. 'should' and 'must' are entriely different words. With these i normally just do the bonding con check, and then do it again down to the consumers side of the meter, just to be sure.

i agree, you are only reporting on the exisitng installation. Rememebr the reg says SHOULD be within 600mm of the meter, and MUST be before any branches in pipework. 'should' and 'must' are entriely different words. With these i normally just do the bonding con check, and then do it again down to the consumers side of the meter, just to be sure.

I love it when Shakey agrees with me........... it makes me feel special;)

It should be within 600mm of the gas meter on the consumers side or at point of entry to the building.

Mark

"Hello Mark",

Is it O.K. / Within the Regulations that the Gas Supply Earth Cable [Normally 10mm] be connected `At the Point of Entry into the Property` - But under the Floorboards - I.E. NOT Visible ?

I am asking this out of Interest - Because as a Gas Installer / Heating Engineer I Often see this method of connecting the Cable with an Earth Clamp - Even where it would be easy to have the Earth Connection Visible / Within the Gas Meter Box [using an External Quality Earth Clamp].

Chris

"Hello Mark",

Is it O.K. / Within the Regulations that the Gas Supply Earth Cable [Normally 10mm] be connected `At the Point of Entry into the Property` - But under the Floorboards - I.E. NOT Visible ?

I am asking this out of Interest - Because as a Gas Installer / Heating Engineer I Often see this method of connecting the Cable with an Earth Clamp - Even where it would be easy to have the Earth Connection Visible / Within the Gas Meter Box [using an External Quality Earth Clamp].

Chris

Hi Chris, Whilst it would likely comply with 544.1.2 it is clearly bad practice to do this in a position without easy access and visibility. Anybody inspecting and testing the installation at a later date should not have to be a mind reader in order to realise where the gas bond is terminated or have to disturb floor covering and lift floorboards to verify a gas main bonding conductor.

"Hello Mark",

Thanks for your quick reply - As the instances that I have seen of what I described about the position of the Gas Supply Earthing Connections are almost ALL on My `Jobs` - I have Queried this point time after time.

Short of actually `Telling` the Electrician [Usually Friends] that I `Insisted` they connect the Earth Cable either within the Gas Meter Box OR just as the Gas Supply enters the Property [Externally] - I have been in the situation where I have just allowed the `Electrical Expert` to do what they say would be `Correct Practice` - Also they would be issuing the Electrical Certificates.

When I have been running a New Gas Supply `To` an External Meter Position and would be Drilling through the Brickwork for My Pipe - I have offered to also Drill the Hole for the Earth Cable - And have done that on occasions - Still I have encountered `Resistance` [Excuse the accidental `Pun`] to actually running the Earth Cable to an External Position.

Because I had the `Excuse` on one occasion [A few Years ago] that the Electrician could not use an Internal Earth Clamp - Externally - I obtained a few External Quality Earth Clamps - I still have these !

Do You happen to know of a Regulation that could be Quoted - Apart from the `Within 600mm of the Meter Connection on the Consumer side OR as the Gas Pipe Enters the Building` recommendation ? [Words to that effect]

Although I am not able to Work at present due to a Severe Back Injury - IF I do return to Contracting Heating - Plumbing & Gas - A Regulation might help Me to `Insist` on having the Gas Supply Earth Cable connection where I feel that it should be - I.E. Visible.

I am NOT writing this to ANNOY the Members on here in any way.

These comments are NOT a `Downer` on Electricians - But I could never understand WHY all of those that I knew in the past were `Against` running the Earth Cable to where it definitely should have been ? - even when it would not have been any more work to do so.

"Thanks Again Mark"

Chris

i believe in the new nic periodic coming in next year not being able to see the earth clamps is a fail

i believe in the new nic periodic coming in next year not being able to see the earth clamps is a fail

Who the hell cares what NICEIE wants?? I'd like to see them defend that fail in a court of law!! That's the NIC trying to play god again, no-one will take a blind bit of notice!! Except perhaps the foolish few that know no different!!

Reply to Gas safety equipotential bond in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock