Discuss Gauge Speaker Wires: Clueless in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong forum I had a look on the search tool but couldn’t find a definitive answer to my query.

A relative of mine has 4 speakers inbuilt into their ceiling (see pic) and 6 gauge speaker wires (see pic) coming out of a wall panel.

None of us know exactly how to connect it together. I have seen small affordable amps online however they only seem to have one left audio input and one right audio input, but there’s 6 speaker cables? Does anyone know which amp would work?

Also, would they need to put F heads on the end of the speaker cables, or Banana connector heads to plug into the amp?

From the amp to the tv which wire would they need?

Apologies if this is basic but we are all pretty much novices in the electrical world

Hope someone can help!

Gauge Speaker Wires: Clueless 48DC4F3A-BAEE-49B9-A80F-B02E77920B6C - EletriciansForums.net

Gauge Speaker Wires: Clueless D2E65BBE-D051-4B0D-BFA4-D8E7E6500ADC - EletriciansForums.net

I'm no expert, but a lot of domestic speaker cables are simply pushed into a spring clip connector on the back of the amp.

From TV to amp you could use the red and white phono plugs, or alternatively an HDMI cable or optical link.
It all depends on what outputs the tv has and what inputs the amp has.

Hopefully, as this is a domestic installation, rather than for BGM/announcements in a commercial application, these will be low impedance units.... otherwise the lack of much happening sub 200Hz at such close listening proximity would tire on the ear.

How are the speakers arranged on the ceiling? It could be that they are intended to be used as a surround sound set up, in which case you'd need a special amplifier with multiple outputs.

If not and they are just designed to be stereo left and right, you may be able to connect multiple speakers in to the left and right outputs of a stereo amp.

A photo of the connections on the back of the television would help with figuring how to connect this to an amp.

Are there six speaker cables in the photo? If so, do you know where the other two speakers are?

If you are connecting multiple speakers to one output you need to find out their impedence as otherwise you can overload the amp.

Reply to Gauge Speaker Wires: Clueless in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock