Discuss Gday from Australia in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

havelock

Hi, emigrated to OZ 15yrs ago was a JIB sparky in uk before that for 17yrs. We are heading back to uk next year around the Salisbury area and wanted to know how the work situation was like.? plenty going on or quiet? Got the usual experiance, domestic commercial and a few years mining.
Over here our wage has a compulsory 9% super( pension) on top, is that now the case in uk? it never was when i was there last but hoped it would have changed by now.
Also been looking at jobs on internet, is 13 pound an hour a good wage there? and what is roughly a good weekly wage for a domestic/ commercial sparky.
Any information that anyone wants on working over here in Australia as a sparky feel free to ask.
Cheers

Gday havelock. Stay in Australia!!! Only kidding.

Average wage in that part of the UK is about £15-£18 p/h, £13 p/h is average for agency sparks. Re-apply for your JIB card, it will open more doors with the big companies.

You will need to do the 17th ed Regs exam, £85 for a book and about £300-£400 for a 4 day course & exam. Before you come back to the UK, get a letter from your employer stating what type of work you have been doing over the years and for how long. You will need this for the JIB card ratting and it is better to do it now than later. In fact you could do it now and have the gold JIB card waiting for you when you land.

I cant wait for you to come back and in time post up about how things have changed in the UK electrical industry. You will have a few shocks mate. Just apply to the big companies, dont bother with agencies and good luck coming home.

Hi, emigrated to OZ 15yrs ago was a JIB sparky in uk before that for 17yrs. We are heading back to uk next year around the Salisbury area and wanted to know how the work situation was like.? plenty going on or quiet? Got the usual experiance, domestic commercial and a few years mining.
Over here our wage has a compulsory 9% super( pension) on top, is that now the case in uk? it never was when i was there last but hoped it would have changed by now.
Also been looking at jobs on internet, is 13 pound an hour a good wage there? and what is roughly a good weekly wage for a domestic/ commercial sparky.
Any information that anyone wants on working over here in Australia as a sparky feel free to ask.
Cheers
The obvious question is why?

Cheers

Pout of interest why you coming back, normally it's the other why round

Thats a good question, don't hate Australia our time here has been good, wife is English, parents getting older, want a change of scenery. Didn't leave England cos i hated it just wanted something different.

Ok, what is the going rate in Australia. Just our hourly rate properly hasn't changed since you left :-(

Hi, $38 an hour plus 9% super on top, average hourly rate here for town sparky. $50+ penalties if you want to work in the coal or gas fields, but that means working away and 12hr days.
Money good but want a change. Is it better to be self employed and subby? thats what i was doing before i left.
Rolf may b gone but we still have Kylie.

"Can you guess what it is yet?"

Yes Rolf, its called 5 years in Stafford prison you dirty old man.

He walked into prison in cuffs, hope he is carried out in a box. Sorry, I have strong feelings on things like this.

News flash..... Kyle has been arrested for child smuggling and selling 9 year olds to Rochdale taxi drivers! (#not true)

Reply to Gday from Australia in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net