Discuss GE RCD query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went to a property yesterday to do some odds and sods, replace the cu and do some remedials following a condition report customer obtained prior to purchasing the property. The cu is made by GE and was installed in 1997, half the board rcd protected and half not.
One of the observations on the report was a C3 for 'rcd will not reset after test'. After brushing against the test button and tripping the rcd I was unable to reset it. I then tried to reset it with all rcd protected mcbs turned off and then removing one by one all the neutrals from the rcd protected neutral bar, still no joy.
How did the person who performed the periodic a couple of months ago manage to undertake the trip tests and then re-energise the installation when he had already diagnosed that it would not reset? Am I missing something?
I did manage to sort the C2 for cooker hood protected by a 13A fuse all on my own!!

No, won't reset even with the cu on the floor! Test button does not appear to be sticking, didn't think a sticky test button would affect it when not energised?
I ask mainly out of curiosity,how did the previous person manage to get it to hold? The cu has been replaced

Could be a duff mechanism, give it a few taps to the side with the head of a screwdriver.

but once a nail has been hit, it is left alone to recuperate and reflect on the importance of it's mission, to hold 2 pieces of wood together in close harmony. a hammer. on the other hand, has to go on hitting nails, screws, plasterboard, apprentices, and such, for the rest of it's natural life. now reconsider which you'd rather be.

Reply to GE RCD query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

What should you do if a client has a CU that is a split board protected by 2 * 63Amp 30mA double pole RCCDs, you took Zs and tested both RCCDs by...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
Hi all, There's 2 single fan ovens in the house my mother recently moved into. Posh elecronic AEG units. It's been sat empty for a year, so the...
Replies
Views
My circuit panel has two banks of breakers, each bank protected by an RCD. One of these RCDs has been problematic in that it trips intermitantly...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock