Discuss general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and money) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

esubmarine

so I work with this other guy as a general builder and he's a plumber, I figure we'd make a pretty good team if I could do some electrics. Most of the work we get are like full house renovations so I'd like to know how to do rewires, kitchens, lights, sockets etc. and check it all off.

My knowledge so far is limited to what I've seen on site and doing basics. Any advice?

Re: general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and mo

Stick to building mate learning to be a spark is not a quick fix IMO. Hire someone who is qualified and competent.

Re: general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and mo

Train to be a sparky but avoid the "Become an electrician in 5 weeks" malarkie... There not worth it bud

as a qualified spark, i'd like to know how to pile a few bricks together. do some builders out of work and make a fortune. it's only a few bricks, same as it's only a few wires, innit?

i'm sure i saw mine in there.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm sure i saw mine in there.

If you're genuine Esubmarine then there's a couple of lads on here who are from your neck of the woods, Top Cat and MDJ are the two who immediately spring to mind but I think Kate is down your way too. They all know their stuff and I'm sure they'd be happy to quote you on whatever you need doing which will help you out in the most efficient way. If you're not genuine then why don't you just go away. Apolgies to anyone down that way who I've forgotten to mention

you want basic electrical training / you want to know how to do re-wires / you want to cert everything ....

Go to college and learn properly?

and then get 5 years practical training before being let loose.

Basic electrical training is changing a lamp, a plug top or a fuse. A rewire, although at the technically easier end of what we do, is not basic.

so first off... why would i not be genuine? I don't get why I've come back to this post and there are a bunch of semi mocking responses?

Thanks for your recommendation trev but we have a sparky we use at the moment who is no problem. I am looking to expand my knowledge as a beginner (so I can do basic wiring) and have no idea where to start, the long term goal of this is to be able to check of full rewires.This is long term and might be years from now. Apologies if this was unclear at first.

But as of today. I am confused and have no idea were my first port of call should be....

Last edited by a moderator:

Esubmarine...you say you're a builder, and your mates a plumber...you want to know how to do electrics, to make a 'good team'...

Have you considered what you're going to do about the GAS work? Seeing as though you want to become the all singing and all dancing 2some. Let me answer that for you, you'd happily employ a gas engineer but not an electrician.

Our trade is F'd.

so first off... why would i not be genuine? I don't get why I've come back to this post and there are a bunch of semi mocking responses?

Thanks for your recommendation trev but we have a sparky we use at the moment who is no problem. I am looking to expand my knowledge as a beginner and have no idea where to start, the long term goal of this is to be able to check of full rewires. This is long term and might be years from now.

But as of today. I am confused and have no idea were my first port of call should be....

People maybe thought you wern't genuine when your definition of basic is totally different to the dictionarys.

Yes, it will take you years. Go to college get enrolled on the 2357 course for a few years, then with onsite practical experience gained by working alongside a qualified and competent electrician you can then take the next step and get enrolled on the 2394/2395 inspection and testing courses. Along with the 17th.

I would start by going to a local college and seeing what courses they offer. It might be a case of you doing evening classes for a couple of years.

People maybe thought you wern't genuine when your definition of basic is totally different to the dictionarys.

Yes, it will take you years. Go to college get enrolled on the 2357 course for a few years, then with onsite practical experience gained by working alongside a qualified and competent electrician you can then take the next step and get enrolled on the 2394/2395 inspection and testing courses. Along with the 17th.

Yeah should have been a bit more thoughtful with my first post me-thinks....Thanks for the tips buddy, Ill definitely be checking those out.

Thanks for your recommendation trev but we have a sparky we use at the moment who is no problem. I am looking to expand my knowledge as a beginner (so I can do basic wiring) and have no idea where to start, the long term goal of this is to be able to check of full rewires.This is long term and might be years from now. Apologies if this was unclear at first.

Why would I not think you are genuine? Well let's see, 1 There's the way you come on and use the terminology you did. 2 There's the statement just made about having a spark already, why are you not asking him. 3 The obvious assumption that what we do is easy and can be done by anyone with a modicum of instruction. If you are genuine then I'm sorry if I've offended you but you have to see that what you said is offensive to me as someone who spent years studying to learn this trade as a young lad and who hears builders/plumbers/plasterers/joiners et al coming out with stuff like "It's just a few wires what can possibly go wrong" As Mark said, you'd be happy to employ someone to install a heating system but you reckon you could cope with a rewire between you and your mate (after receiving instructions over the internet thus doing your current spark out of work? Don't make me laugh mate

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Mark beat me to it and probably put it more delicately.

I would start by going to a local college and seeing what courses they offer. It might be a case of you doing evening classes for a couple of years.
A couple of years is not enough

Where I stay builders build.sparks spark.handymen dabble in everything ,usually badly.to do it properly will take time make no mistake.yet another example of the concept of teaching a bit of a trade and thinking that's all there is to it. I don't think your current spark will be too keen to pass his pearls of wisdom on to you if he gets wind you want to do it yourself.

Reply to general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and money) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock