Discuss general building regulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nicsin02

Sorry guys just looking for a little help here, I done a homer for a joiner and I cut a notch out a load baring exterior wall and fitted a metal back box, the client is complaining and is trying to charge me, but I know that I'm aloud to notch up to 25% of the width of the stud and basically I'm just looking to see if some1 could point me in the direction of a direct quote I can print from the internet and show client, many thanks

well if i was accused of a non-compliance during the building of an installation , i'd be asking the accuser to provide proof that i had made an error rather than me prove i hadnt.

burden of proof is the accusers responsibilty in a british court of law , tell him to jog on.

offer to call in the building control inspector to verify his claim.........
that will shut him up.
;-)

you say he's a joiner. what do joiners know about wood, apart from how to split it with paslode nails?

Building regs state that vertical chases should not be deeper than 1/3 of the wall thickness or, in cavity walls, 1/3 of the thickness of the leaf;
horizontal chases should not be deeper than 1/6 of the thickness of the leaf of the wall;
chases should not be so positioned as to impair the stability of the wall, particularly where hollow blocks are used.
So your depth is well within regs, page 26 Approved Document A
im assuming your talking about sinking a box into the load bearing wall.

This is straightforward and very clear, the guidance says that notches and holes in joists are permitted, but only to a certain size and within a specific section of the unsupported length of the joist.

Notches should be not closer to a support than 0.07 times the span, nor further away than 0.25 times the span and the maximum depth of the notch is 0.125 x joist depth.

Holes should be not less than three diameters (centre to centre) apart, and located between 0.25 and 0.4 times the span from the support and the maximum diameter of the hole should be 0.25 x joist depth.

There is further reference to the source of this information and some discussion of different types of supporting members.

If the wording is confusing look at the diagrams they define the accepted suitability.

However from Dagrat's post if you are talking about a wall and not a joist then it may be less clear, but dagrat has defined those requirements for chases. There is no mention of problems cutting out for back boxes only in walls, this should not affect the stability.

Fill the whole lot in, replace with surface mount socket and some round conduit. That'll teach em. Daz

Sorry guys just looking for a little help here, I done a homer for a joiner and I cut a notch out a load baring exterior wall and fitted a metal back box, the client is complaining and is trying to charge me, but I know that I'm aloud to notch up to 25% of the width of the stud and basically I'm just looking to see if some1 could point me in the direction of a direct quote I can print from the internet and show client, many thanks
Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but is it for a switch or socket or something similar?.....if so, being the client, where does he want the fixture? His choice, I would have thought.

Reply to general building regulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock