Discuss General concepts - Automotive electrical in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Forum,
I have been reading up but cant get / find a definitive answer on this.

firstly - I understand the purpose of a fuse is to to protect a circuit (shorting fires etc..) this is all good

what I am having trouble finding/ grasping is the concept around fuses and power distribution.
A single fuse which protects a number of circuits (example only... interior lights, reverse lights, wiper washer of the same fuse)
  1. Say the fuse is 15 AMP, does this equate to all the power distribution wires (in this case to 3 separate loads) add - up to 15AMP
  2. or.. each of the load wires is 15 amp rated.
I assume the latter, but still looking for some insights..

Additionally anyone can point where I may get distribution header type connectors (Like OEM)- I can find the dist blocks but not much on inline header type connectors?

It's the former - a 15A fuse will continuously allow 15A through it regardless of how many circuits are fed from it. Any more current than that and it will blow - the more current over it's rating the quicker.
This can be for two reasons - firstly that too much current is being drawn, for example from a light bulb of a wattage which is too high for the circuit that has been designed, from poor maintenance such as a motor with worn bearings, or secondly if there is a short-circuit somewhere, caused by something like worn insulation around the cable or liquid between two contacts.

Its the latter. If all the wiring on that circuit is protected by a 15A fuse, then any wire not rated at least 15A would overheat in a fault condition before the fuse did. Presenting a possible fire risk.

I'm sure Adam W also knows this but had misread your question, which was not very clear, and its rather late.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: all of the wires fed from a 15A fuse must be rated to 15A, for example if you had one light, one motor and one pump, wires going to each of these should be able to carry 15A. That way if you get a fault on any individual piece of equipment it will still be able to carry the fault current.

Thanks Chris for pointing that out - as you say the question was ambiguous, it's late, Friday night...

ok get it but to paraphrase....

single 15A fuse with feeds 3 x 15A wires.....
should any single wire (load) exceed 15A then the fuse will blow, isolating current from the source to any of the wires (loads) connected

Any insights on the header distribution connectors or do i just use molex type connectors?

Last edited:
not sure on your Q about connectors. I would not use scotchlock connectors. try wagos lever type. google wago 221.

Reply to General concepts - Automotive electrical in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock