Discuss General Consensus on OCLI? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Oh_Dear

Hi All,

Been looking at several college courses to get my self qualified, im finding it difficult as @ 28 a lot of doors have closed.

After looking at the college courses just 2365 level 2 & 3 im looking at close to £6000.

I requested a brochure from OCLI and within a few days a got a call and before i knew it someone was out to speak to me yesterday.

Was just wondering what the general consensus is on these guys, does this fall under the "Fast Track" courses that get the bad press, and understandably so.

In Short they offer:

2365 2 & 3

2357 Level 3 nvq & Pathway Unit

The cost of all this is £5995, so theres nothing in it cost wise but you get more qualifications for your money, he said a typical course length would be 18 months.

Has anyone had success with these guys, is it worth the investment?

Also the below link is the courses available to me at my local college, can anyone translate what exactly these are, are they C&G, EAL or is this something totally different?

Course Search Results

Thanks all

Not really anything related to the trade to be honest, went to uni and studied business, passed it all with flying colours but a waste of time and money. Got good grades in physics.and maths at A- level and electronics at gcse.

I am subscribed to OLCI and I'm at my wits end with them now. I have called them a few times this past week asking for feedback on my assignments that I left at the training centre with my tutor last February, yes that's almost 6 months ago, and I was told by two separate people on the phone that they would call me back the next day to confirm my results. (Guess what?)

So after not receiving the calls I tried again and still got nowhere, (now banging my head off a brick wall). During all this I was going through my book work to study and noticed I was missing a key part of my study notes, so I kindly asked for a set to be sent out. (Guess what?)

So after receiving the wrong notes today, I'm now at the point of being really ****ed with this company. But there's more.

I asked about the course I'm on and wanted clarification on the testing and inspection part of the qualification and I pointed out that the salesman and the sales manager both told me I could test and inspect my own work and other people's work even though I wasn't present at the initial install. (Guess what?)

It seems my course does NOT allow me to sign off anyone else's work except my own. Now the brochure does state "Fully Qualified" so I'm thinking I'm being taken for the ride of my life here.

I have complained to them previously and the response I received was childish and full of the old "that's unfortunate" spiel and after I bullet pointed my main points, they were mostly sidestepped like Travolta at a tango contest.

So I have given up all hope now of being qualified as an Electrician and I'm now thinking a wee letter to my friend who works at the BBC might get her interested in a wee story to follow up on. I know I have absolutely no chance of a refund having stupidly paid in full, so I'm thinking I should just ditch it and take the earache from the missus for several months as I scrape some cash together to fund a college course instead.

This had so much promise, yet delivered nothing but anger, frustration, additional costs for calls and my complete apathy for being misled and sent up the garden path with my tail between my legs.

Anger doesn't cut it.

Bump. . . . . . . . . . Bump, Bump, Bump :drool5:

I'm back!

Only asked as all these course do not teach you at all, don't care what they say.

You'll be given a folder full of notes, expected to read and revise them the go into one of their centre and complete small practical assessments and all your exams.

I used OLCI when they appeared as i had no paper quals and had already been in the trade. I felt sorry for the guys who had come on the course to do what everyone call a Electrical Trainee course. They had no tuition what so ever, just get on with it and we'll assess you.

Hi Drexyn,

Just to say, I hear you have spoken to my colleague and he’s looking into the matter and will contact you again tomorrow.

Best wishes, Alana

Quick update,

I am pleased with my recent contact with OLCI and this has raised my expectations in a very positive manner. Regardless of the channels of opinion it is often refreshing to give and receive feedback both negative and positive. Going forward, there seems to be a better common ground and communication.

The future looks brighter and with a positive outlook, I look forward to seeing through the course and finishing with a flourish.

Correspondence courses are not for everyone. I don't like being taught in a classroom, I like to study, learn and research at home on my own. I did that with 16Th Edition, 17th Edition, Inspection and Testing, Solar Power and Design and Verification. I know its easier to sit in a classroom and be spoon fed, but hey we're Adults becoming professionals. I didn't use OLCI either, I bought books researched the net, paid for the exams and passed (usually first time, but some were tricky)

Reply to General Consensus on OCLI? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net