Discuss General Pricing / Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jo4nny8

Hi All

Im looking for a little bit of general guidance with regards to prices i should be paying for works.

Without giving to much detail, I run a bathroom and kitchen company and have used my current electrician for about 4 years on and off. This year hes had a lot of work off me (in excess of £5k i would think)

Im just slightly concerned by the (what i think) high prices im starting to be charge for work and wanted a little idea if you guys think its about right or way over the top.

If i give a few examples can you guys give me a rough idea of what you think is a reasonable price range??

Lets assume everything within the existing installation meets current regs, bs7671 etc (any remedial work required is priced by him and charged to the customer)

Bathroom.

Generally our bathrooms consist of:

Remove pendant light / similar light in centre of room,
Install 3 / 4 chrome downlights (i supply)
Install either 1 x shower light or 1 x wall mounted extractor (depending on which depends on amount of downlights)

So i supply lights and extractor
He supplies cable, spurs, backboxes, pull chord or light switch depending on what is currently installed - general consumables really

Any ideas on a rough guide price??

Kitchens.

Slightly more involved really but i will give a general perception.

Change 5 x double sockets (straight swop)
Install feed for chimney style extractor
Install feed for oven, and hob (13a double plug)
Install feed for dishwasher
Install feed for washing machine
Install feed for tumble drier.

With regards to the above they are normally there and so it is merely extending cables and moving sockets into cupboards etc (were not talking about installing new rings mains etc)

Install 6 x under counter lights (i supply and install these he does electrical connection as the lights are 12v with a transformer pre fitted etc)

He supplies cables etc and sockets.

Any idea of a rough sort of price??

Can people also advise on roughly what percentage of installations they go to that require remedial work to bring up to current standards? For some reason i am finding every single job we does has to have some sort of rememdial work - ranging from bonding on gas and water being increased from 4-6mm -10mm, to full consumer unit changes as theyre still using rewirable fuses etc)

Now whilst im reasonally technical, when you start talking about technical things i get lost and i dont want to be either getting screwed, but also dont want my customers thinking were ripping them off if work is being done that doesnt need to be.

Can anyone help me out?

as a rough guide, i'd say around £200 + materials for bathroom. £300 - £400 + materials for kitchen

It's not just the job's that cost the money , it's getting there , paying for parking, scheme fees, insurance , etc. Why do you think his prices have gone up in comparison to earlier years , has he offered no explanation. I would tend to ask him for one as it is difficult for any one to give a ballpark figure without knowing the logistics of each job.

It also depends how many visits he has to make. Cannot you figure out how many hours and visits he has made for each job, then work backwards, cable and sockets are easy to price.
What is he actually charging

How many man hours does he work on each of your example jobs? What part of the country are you working in? Is he by himself or with another mate or electrician?

As for remedial work, if he is altering or installing circuits (specially in a bathroom) it has to be up to current standards of reg, eg correct sized bonding for disconnection times of the mcb/rcd plus rcd protection must be used for the circuits he's extending/installing. Don't feel ripped off when he tells you that these things need doing, its the minimum safety requirements that we have to achieve before any work can be carried out.

Most jobs mean 1/2 day to first fix, then another 1/2 day to second fix.

The last job ive been quoted for for example ive have been quoted £360 for the bathroom and £660 for the kitchen, plus £300 worth of remedial work (installing rcd protection, bonding etc)

Thats £1300 for 2 jobs which, by the way, are at the same house at the same time!!

My concern is that i dont know if what im being told is true. For example, i know it all has to be Rcd protected. However, when the cu is protected, now they need to be rcbos, or the one they have isnt big enough or the right one, or the earthing on the gas and water has to be 10mm not 6mm for example.

Not being an electrician i take him at his word but im getting doubts creeping in and need to ensure im not getting done over.

Not that im saying i am, but, and ill elaborate.

We did a job recently there were 'remedials' required to bring the cu up to current regs, i forget what exactly it was but something like upgrading the gas and water, plus installing rcbos to a curcuit. This particular customer, unbeknown to us was an ex sparky and knew the regs inside and out. Whilst he agreed the work 'could' be deemed as being required, there was somehing that wasnt and therefore he refused to have it done. i looked like a T%^t!

I dont want to be telling customers work is legally required by law if its not.

Does that help?

Have a look at this web site Best practice guides : Electrical Safety Council it will answer s lot of your questions regarding c/u changes, rcd requirements, bonding requirements. You could even print off the reinvent guild and show it to your customers if they contest the extra work that's needed. We have to prove to customers that we aren't ripping them off sometimes and these guides have helped me out in the past, specially with landlords.

mmmm, if you are in no position to judge, try another electrician, probably some on here would be happy with those prices ( i would be)
As for legal, you would need a lawyer to go anywhere near a court on this stuff, its a series of recommendations varying in severity where ultimately an electrcian is obliged to sign or not an installation as satisfactory to a standard. The standards are usually easy to understand and interpret but there are some debateable areas, that take up forum space on here for example so again no easy answer.

BUT overall, there is nothing i know of that is a complete waste of time and money, they all make a real improvement whther its bonding , RCBOs, low voltage stuff etc.
With electrics its all about reducing risk of injury and to property, there isn't a line as such it nearly always could be better.
The problem is the sparky is making the recommendations which can look like writing his own cheque, especially as those recommendations are "necessary" to get his signature on the docs

mmmm, if you are in no position to judge, try another electrician, probably some on here would be happy with those prices ( i would be)
As for legal, you would need a lawyer to go anywhere near a court on this stuff, its a series of recommendations varying in severity where ultimately an electrcian is obliged to sign or not an installation as satisfactory to a standard. The standards are usually easy to understand and interpret but there are some debateable areas, that take up forum space on here for example so again no easy answer.

BUT overall, there is nothing i know of that is a complete waste of time and money, they all make a real improvement whther its bonding , RCBOs, low voltage stuff etc.
With electrics its all about reducing risk of injury and to property, there isn't a line as such it nearly always could be better.
The problem is the sparky is making the recommendations which can look like writing his own cheque, especially as those recommendations are "necessary" to get his signature on the docs

100% - just what I was going to write. Nicely put.

Another way to look at is you may be on here asking us what kind of defence, or redress you have against your electrician because you have had a comeback or an incident ,or just a plain non compliance that an ex sparky has noticed.
If you are happy with his work and there is plenty left in the job for you , I would be grateful that I have a sparky that I have trusted for four years.

Have a price review with him , he deserves a chance.

Below is a quote.

Does it seem excessive? I dont want to find another sparky as hes a nice bloke and seems honest but it just doesnt seem to feel right

BATHROOM
option 1
Install four IP44 recessed spotlights.
Install a 4" wall mounted extract fan. The fan will have self closing shutters to reduce draughts.
Install a switched fused spur at height level within the bathroom to act as the fan isolator.
Install a twin switch to switch the light and fan independently. Switch to be installed external to the bathroom.
Total £344 inc VAT.

option2
As option 1 but with a better quality extract fan giving a much increased extract rate. The fan will be loft mounted and
a 4" extract vent will be installed in the bathroom ceiling. Insulated ducting will be used in the loft.
Add £88.60 inc VAT.
KITCHEN
Install eight recessed spot lights.
Install plinth lights.
Install under counter lights.
Ensure there is a power supply for the extract hood, oven, hob, dishwasher and washer.
Change all sockets etc to polished chrome.
Total £660 inc VAT.

CONSUMER UNIT (FUSE BOARD)
Not all circuits are RCD protected. RCD`s are devices that provide protection against electric shock and electric fires.
To meet the current requirements of BS7671 - iee wiring regulations I will have to install a RCBO for the kitchen
lighting circuit. RCBO`s are miniature circuit breakers with RCD protection built in.

The main earth conductor from the PME terminal in the meter box to the consumer unit is too small. It will need
replacing with a 16mm² earth cable.

The gas and water mains are not earthed. I will install a 10mm² earth cable form the consumer unit to the gas meter.
As the gas meter is so close this is an easy job. To earth the water main I will have to install a 20mm black plastic
conduit from the consumer unit to the water main . The conduit will be installed under the soffits.
Total £280 inc VAT.

Does'nt seem far away to be honest if he is supplying the gear.

Im supplying / the customer is supplying.

He has to supply cable, clips etc plus fused spurs / pull chords etc.

All sockets and downlughts, plinth lights etc i supply

if the prices are high for example, are they stupidly high do you think? i understand there will be differences in people prices but unless im likely to save hundreds id be happy to stick with him

Bathroom prices are spot on.... my bill would come to £340 +vat with you supplying lights. £60+vat extra for inline loft van decent branded

Just curious how do you agree the price for the job ?

I work for a couple of bathroom and kitchen and firms and they have my pricing menu which they work off.... everything is charged per point.

Any remedials or extras are billed separately and agree before hand (apart from underlying faults which are not obviously present)

Im supplying / the customer is supplying.

He has to supply cable, clips etc plus fused spurs / pull chords etc.

All sockets and downlughts, plinth lights etc i supply

Yes I understood that Bit from your previous post. It was the extra for the fan that threw me . The consumer board additions and work are about right unless it is really easy. The rest without seeing the job I don't think is robbery. Kitchen may be a bit high but perhaps is a real pig.

Install eight recessed spot lights.
Install plinth lights.
Install under counter lights.
Ensure there is a power supply for the extract hood, oven, hob, dishwasher and washer.
Change all sockets etc to polished chrome.
Total £660 inc VAT.

I've done almost the same install a few months ago and my price was £700. Saying that I did install a new ring and a radial socket circuits but the kitchen was ripped out and very easy access under the floor, a very easy first fix and my price reflected that. (West Yorkshire BTW)

I would say he is making a reasonable living so must be happy working with you.
Only thing i would question is the water bonding, if plastic coming into the building, other cheaper arrangements may be OK, cue debate.... :)

As mentioned , there is nothing there that is not reducing risk to people and property.
My last fitting of an extractor i lost money on as the building was a pain, 17 inches thick and no cavity and struck gold with old wiring and pipe to navigate.
He has to take the rough with the smooth also.

The question you should think about is that if you are happy with his workmanship, his time keeping, his quality and lastly his pricing why would you change?

I'm guessing he does all the required certificates and notification in the prices you outline.

Reply to General Pricing / Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock