Discuss generator as back up during power cut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benjiiiiuk

hi, just after a bit of advice, i have a generator i will be using when there is a planned power cut however can i use the distributors earth. my generator is protected by rcd?

First things first!! Does your gen-set have a voltage regulator?? Really need a lot more information about your intended set-up and gen-set data, to advise you further!! There is a lot more to running a generator than at first meets the eye!! lol!!

I hate saying this but you sound like you have no idea so get someone who does as you need to have a system where on a power cut you can safely switch over to generator supply. It sounds like you are flying a kite here so get someone who knows what they are doing plus the info you are giving is pitifull

Unfortunately these day's, there are more electricians that wouldn't know how to sort out a stand-by generator installation, than those that will know!!!

Hi engineer54, i am one of these electricians that doesnt know the rules and regs about stand by generators as ive never had the chance to work with them, can you recommend any books or websites to read to learn it properly?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi engineer54, i am one of these electricians that doesnt know the rules and regs about stand by generators as ive never had the chance to work with them, can you recommend any books or websites to read to learn it properly?

Cheers,
Tim

Sorry i can't.... Perhaps someone else here can help you out as far as publications go.... Or try Googling, something useful may turn up!!

I hate saying this but you sound like you have no idea so get someone who does as you need to have a system where on a power cut you can safely switch over to generator supply. It sounds like you are flying a kite here so get someone who knows what they are doing plus the info you are giving is pitifull

It was a simple yes or no question, I have been viewing this forum quite a lot after work and the moment I post a question I get a load of jip off people.if someone asks me for advise I try to steer them in the right direction or point them to some information where they will find the answers themselves. I was on my dinner break when I posted that question so I only had a limited time to right and respond. Has all the information you have learnt over the years just appeared in your head one day or did you ask questions. Do you know all there is to know about the subject ( I think not) thanks anyway i will find a different forum where the members are a bit more helpfully and don't slag you off for not knowing every single aspect of the trade.

It was a simple yes or no question, I have been viewing this forum quite a lot after work and the moment I post a question I get a load of jip off people.if someone asks me for advise I try to steer them in the right direction or point them to some information where they will find the answers themselves. I was on my dinner break when I posted that question so I only had a limited time to right and respond. Has all the information you have learnt over the years just appeared in your head one day or did you ask questions. Do you know all there is to know about the subject ( I think not) thanks anyway i will find a different forum where the members are a bit more helpfully and don't slag you off for not knowing every single aspect of the trade.

You need to learn how to phrase a question and supply all the information as this forum is not a search engine where you put a couple of key words in and hey presto I am not giving you jip as you say be if you approached this problem in a professional manner you would have got a better respons

You need to learn how to phrase a question and supply all the information as this forum is not a search engine where you put a couple of key words in and hey presto I am not giving you jip as you say be if you approached this problem in a professional manner you would have got a better respons

sorry that was not aimed at you. one user said why dont you call an electrician, j just think it is a bit insulting to be honest, if he knew himself he would of gave his advice.

it was a genset that was being deliverd and used for 4 hours while the power supply was turned off so the supply was then isolated at the isolator before the board then the feed to the board disconected and the genset wired in for the four hours. all i wanted to know was could i use the distributors earth instead of an eath rod which would have given me a lower ze, or under fault conditions is there going to be someone working on the supply in danger.

sorry that was not aimed at you. one user said why dont you call an electrician, j just think it is a bit insulting to be honest, if he knew himself he would of gave his advice.

it was a genset that was being deliverd and used for 4 hours while the power supply was turned off so the supply was then isolated at the isolator before the board then the feed to the board disconected and the genset wired in for the four hours. all i wanted to know was could i use the distributors earth instead of an eath rod which would have given me a lower ze, or under fault conditions is there going to be someone working on the supply in danger.

Why didn't you post this info in the first place then some people would not have come back with some of the answers they did

No offence to the OP I have been saying this for the past year on this forum that cryptic questions are no good especially guys who are trying to train up take critic badly but don't realise that we are trying to get them into a way of thinking that when they ask a question they supply as many facts as possible a bit like I will name that tune in 10 but don't expect me to do it in 2 lol

I realy can’t understand anyone undertaking a job they clearly have no knowledge of. They are not only a danger to themselves but more importantly to others.
If something goes wrong with generator earthing then it puts people in danger. If this was a planned power outage the DNO should advise on temporary feeds, it should not be the responsibility of the customer or appointed electrician.
On the MV courses I’ve been on it’s always pointed out the dangers from generator earthing and back feeds. It’s not a field for the average electrician to enter without the required knowledge.
From what the OP has said it would seem the job has been done. I find it amazing that someone would come after the event for safety information.

Reply to generator as back up during power cut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net