Discuss Generator back up for house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Not so much an electrical question, but physically.

Got a customer out in the sticks who’s suffered with powercuts frequently during the recent storms.
Now, easy enough to fit a changeover switch, but in this case, the mains comes in in the centre of the house. Not a handy place to drill a hole to outside.

So, would you wire in a 32A (or 16, depending what genny they get) plug to the changeover, leave a long enough extension lead to reach a window, crossing their kitchen floor….

Don’t suggest a “widowmaker”

Why not a 32A socket next to the change over switch and a suitable long lead plugged in as needed?

Ideally you would put a suitably IP rated socket outside somewhere so there is nothing trailing around, and then they bring the generator out as needed and a short patch-cable.

Hi, it might be better to start with what loads are required to be met,and what size/type of generator is going to be used?

Hi, it might be better to start with what loads are required to be met,and what size/type of generator is going to be used?
Like I said, it’s the physical layout of the house that would be the issue.
They only really want lights and supply to the boiler to give heating. 16A will be enough.

It’s running a lead to an open window, instead of running a cable outside if the CU was on an outside wall.

They only really want lights and supply to the boiler to give heating. 16A will be enough.

Do they not want any more basic amenities like to keep their fridge/freezer up and running? Maybe have enough to make a brew and watch tv?
I suppose it depends on how long the power cuts are for.

Find somewhere convenient to fix a 16/32/63A appliance inlet (male commando) and wire back to a changeover box. If the genset has electronic ignition then you can also use the same MF box and a cable alongside the mains to have an internal switch for it.

Freezer. Good point, @Spoon

Wiring the thing isn’t a problem… it’s where to place the wires when it’s in use.
The commando socket would be in the cupboard, next to changeover…. Next to CU.
There’s already a service isolator, and Henley’s… so no problem reconfiguring for a changeover.

I’d have to lay an extension lead across the floor to reach outside, leaving a trip hazard.

Although… new day- new thoughts.
I can run from the cupboard, behind kitchen units kickboard, right along to a wall. I don’t know what’s behind the wall though… garage or outside.

Maybe it’s not going to be a huge problem after all. 🤨

A friend of mine up near Aberdeen has been having similar issues but no idea if anything being done to allow such a temporary supply. Now she has a new BF I don't hear much from her!

So I might also bee looking in to exactly the same sort of situation at some point.

It's not just the trip hazard. If the genny inlet is in the middle of the house, there's a chance that sometime someone will decide to run the generator in the middle of the house, on a short lead, as well.
Some of the latest generators, designed for use with the likes of motorhomes, are all enclosed in a casing and run almost silently. They still use up O2 and pump out CO though.
Edit: It's just occurred to me, that as a result of building work in the last couple of decades, my own generator port is now more than a whole room inside the house.

It's not just the trip hazard. If the genny inlet is in the middle of the house, there's a chance that sometime someone will decide to run the generator in the middle of the house, on a short lead, as well.
Very true!

Another very good reason to have a commando male inlet outside the building.

Incidentally anyone else feel they are not really waterproof enough if sloping down for easier cable access? Seems water can run down the gap between male socket and the female plug. Having it is some sort of shelter / box would be a good idea to keep the rain off once mated.

Last edited:
Incidentally anyone else feel they are not really waterproof enough if sloping down for easier cable access? Seems water can run down the gap between make socket and the female plug. Having it is some sort of shelter / box would be a good idea to keep the rain off once mated.
That's what my gut feeling is as well, but having used them with my touring caravan for decades often two cables plugged together and lying on the ground, I've yet to see any evidence of any water penetration whatsoever

Down-angled appliance inlets and couplers of less than IP67 are not good for permanent connection outdoors as the coupler does collect water. I have one on the boat, but with a sneaky drain hole drilled from the 'moat' of the coupler to outside at the lowest point when in position, to let the water back out. Upgrading it is one of those 'round tuits' that never seems to get a look-in because it works at the moment and there are always 1001 more urgent maintenance tasks on a boat that whatever it is you want to upgrade. For occasional use with a portable generator it is unlikely to be a problem as any water collected will escape when the coupler is removed.

Down-angled appliance inlets and couplers of less than IP67 are not good for permanent connection outdoors as the coupler does collect water. I have one on the boat, but with a sneaky drain hole drilled from the 'moat' of the coupler to outside at the lowest point when in position, to let the water back out. Upgrading it is one of those 'round tuits' that never seems to get a look-in because it works at the moment and there are always 1001 more urgent maintenance tasks on a boat that whatever it is you want to upgrade. For occasional use with a portable generator it is unlikely to be a problem as any water collected will escape when the coupler is removed.
And sadly, very hard to find (and expensive to buy when you do!)

Reply to Generator back up for house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net