Discuss Generator cord 4 prong? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had an electrician a few years ago do up my house for a portable generator which my son-in-law bought me. Everything works fine over these past 3 years. The problem is the darn generator is SO big I can't move it. So the power goes out and I'm in the dark! My handy guy and I have found a spot outside where we are going to permanently put it (covered).

The electrician made me a 50' cord for my current generator and now I need a longer one (he charged me $50). I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing 70' - Is this something that any electrician can do - make the cord? I went online and found 100' cords for over $1000. That's more than the generator cost!

Is that the going rate? Is there somewhere I can buy one for a reasonable price? I'm astounded by a cord costing more than the generator.

Susan

I had an electrician a few years ago do up my house for a portable generator which my son-in-law bought me. Everything works fine over these past 3 years. The problem is the darn generator is SO big I can't move it. So the power goes out and I'm in the dark! My handy guy and I have found a spot outside where we are going to permanently put it (covered).

The electrician made me a 50' cord for my current generator and now I need a longer one (he charged me $50). I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing 70' - Is this something that any electrician can do - make the cord? I went online and found 100' cords for over $1000. That's more than the generator cost!

Is that the going rate? Is there somewhere I can buy one for a reasonable price? I'm astounded by a cord costing more than the generator.

Susan
Susan welcome to the forum and unfortunately since COVID-19 all electrical parts have come in short supply especially wire. Depending on what size wire it still can cost $ 5.00 to $ 6.00 a foot

Susan welcome to the forum and unfortunately since COVID-19 all electrical parts have come in short supply especially wire. Depending on what size wire it still can cost $ 5.00 to $ 6.00 a foot
Yes everything has gone up. I need 100' of 8 gauge with the male and female 4 prong plugs at the end. It still slays me the cord is more than the generator! Thanks for the pricing info. :(

Reply to Generator cord 4 prong? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net