Discuss Generator temp supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Arsenal1886

Hi there,

new to the forum I have a querie - I am installing a 16a commando socket onto the side of a DB going through a change over switch. 1 side of the switch being mains fed and the other from my commando socket.

however I have an issue, the commando socket with be fed from a generator and will therefor have a socket on the side for me to plug in to.

so here's my issue how do I get around the fact I am going to need to run a cable with both ends being male and the potential if the wrong person was to unplug this could potentially get a belt.

i would like to know if anyone else has had and over come this issue in the past and how and what I could do to get around this?

many thanks

The answer is you don't ,generators should be hard wired into a change over switch and also be fused down so you don't overload the cabling , using a few contactors you can make it automatic so when the power fails the contactor drops out and automatically changes over to the generator supply

You will need a change over switch and you can get a surface mount plug they are normaly used for caravans, butty wagons and boats

A lot of the cabinets that we make need a back up supply. We fit an appliance inlet plug below the cu, through a c/o switch. Kraus and naimer make a din rail mounted one, KH80T902 off the top of my head.

You should have a surface mounted plug on the genny side of the changeover switch. Think of your installation as an appliance that you are plugging in. No worries about live plugs then and you just need a standard arrangement lead ie plug to go in generator and socket end for your fixed plug. The above takes no account of your earthing but that is another question.

stick it in a lockable cabinet. print a check list of stuff to do before opening it. give keys to someone instructed what to do.

That's often a way to deal with potential hazards but it doesn't apply in this case - the OP was going to put a socket and plug the wrong way round, if instead he puts them the right way round there's no hazard to guard against

Thanks guys. The socket inlet idea is what is best suited to this particular install I didn't know what they were called. Hard wiring would obviously be the best solution but is not a possible solution in this case.
Thanks for your help.

Appliance inlet, not socket inlet. It's not a socket!

this is an appliance inlet

Generator temp supply {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Another thing is what type of genny are you using? the small ones that are used on site for powering tools etc do not have a stable output and are no good for electronics eg computers,tv's etc also they are not usually big enough for running anything decent.

Appliance inlet sorry.

There's not a lot on it mate couple of lights and a socket nothing dependant or too critical.

Reply to Generator temp supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock