Discuss Generator Wiring Main Panel and Sub Panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rt5510

DIY
Reaction score
I purchased a portable generator and I need to wire up the transfer switches. I am using two Reliance manual switches so I can individually control breakers that will be fed by the generator (and manage load). This is the type of switch: 306A Pro/Tran 2 - Reliance Controls Corporation - http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?306A

I am using two switches because I have a main panel and a sub panel located in different parts of the house. I need to provide generator power to individual breakers in each panel.

I have attached a wiring diagram and was wondering if someone could take a look. Just want to make sure it's a good configuration and I'm not missing anything.

Thank you

Wiring Diagram.png

There's no need for two transfer switches, the sub panel is fed from the main panel so when the main panel is fed by generator is can continue to feed to sub panel.

I would have expected to see the transfer switch cutting off the normal supply before connecting the generator to the panel, at least that's how it would work in the UK.
I realise regulations are different in the USA but the theory remains the same, if the normal supply is not fully isolated the generator will backfeed into the distribution network.

Thanks for your reply. The ProTran 306a controls each circuit individually using a manual switch. This would prevent any opportunity to back feed. The reason I need two of these is that I want to be able to selectively turn on / off specific circuits in each panel and control the load.

I purchased a portable generator and I need to wire up the transfer switches. I am using two Reliance manual switches so I can individually control breakers that will be fed by the generator (and manage load). This is the type of switch: 306A Pro/Tran 2 - Reliance Controls Corporation - http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?306A

I am using two switches because I have a main panel and a sub panel located in different parts of the house. I need to provide generator power to individual breakers in each panel.

I have attached a wiring diagram and was wondering if someone could take a look. Just want to make sure it's a good configuration and I'm not missing anything.

Thank you

View attachment 54941
RT you don’t need 2 switches all you need to do is control to the main panel the sub panel is being fed from the main panel. My generator is wired to a 60 amp double pole breaker. When the power goes out I just walk outside and turn off the 200 amp main breaker so it won’t back feed to the power company and crank the generator and turn on the 60 amp breaker and both my panels have power. I don’t see a need for transfer switches in your situation. Your generator probably won’t run your whole house so you will have to turn off the big loads like your heat, stove, hot water heater etc.
[automerge]1577799957[/automerge]
RT you don’t need 2 switches all you need to do is control to the main panel the sub panel is being fed from the main panel. My generator is wired to a 60 amp double pole breaker. When the power goes out I just walk outside and turn off the 200 amp main breaker so it won’t back feed to the power company and crank the generator and turn on the 60 amp breaker and both my panels have power. I don’t see a need for transfer switches in your situation. Your generator probably won’t run your whole house so you will have to turn off the big loads like your heat, stove, hot water heater etc.

RT how many watts is your generator?

My generator is wired to a 60 amp double pole breaker. When the power goes out I just walk outside and turn off the 200 amp main breaker so it won’t back feed to the power company and crank the generator and turn on the 60 amp breaker and both my panels have power.

Is there any kind of interlock to prevent the generator being connected whilst the main breaker is closed?

[automerge]1577799957[/automerge]

RT how many watts is your generator?
RT you can turn off breakers that you can’t run in your panels. If you had automatic transfer switches which would start a generator I could understand the switches but in your case no, that’s a lot of money you are putting in switches you don’t need

I completely understand that the configuration I am proposing is a bit of overkill. The transfer switches were basically given to me and I would like to use them. That being said, are there any issues technically with the diagram I shared?

Reply to Generator Wiring Main Panel and Sub Panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net