Discuss Generator Ze test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice with generator earthing/testing.
An 80kva generator supplying a small site with a few portacabins.
I am aware that the genny needs an earth electrode with an Ra lower than 20ohms as per bs 7430 tested with an electrode tester.The chassis bonded to star point of the windings.
My question is how is the Ze test carried out at the genny? I have read on other forums that a Ze test on the genny will give unusual readings. Only looking to find out what to write on the cert for the origin of the installation as the rest of the tests (R1+R2, RCD etc) are self explanatory.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
You cannot test Ze (external EFLI) because there is no external installation to test.

For practical purposes you would need to find out the impedance of the source from the data sheet for the alternator. And the prospective fault current from probably the manufacturer of the generator.

Though at 80kVA the generator will not be able to provide enough fault current for ADS, the engine will stall before most mcbs operate on fault current.

Reply to Generator Ze test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All New to this forum, have read the posts on here from google but only recently signed up. I'm having some issues and some input would be...
Replies
Views
Doing a lot of EICRs at the moment and have came across what I'm sure is a common enough problem. In an off grid rural cottage I have a TT system...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've got a small catering business out of a converted horse trailer and purchased an inverter generator to power the trailer, mainly just...
Replies
Views
I’ve just carried out a continuity test on a rfc. And I’m getting a lower earth resistance Reading than the reading on both the live and neutral...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So i was asked to look at at large 3 phase to 120V transformer around 85kVA - it was tripping the MCB instantly (it never used to) I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock