Discuss Generic PAT Testing Certificates and Forms - Download PAT Testing Certs in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi there looking at the test cert above - how do you reconcile the individual item to the asset list when the serial number of the item is missing. Surely there's no traceability on any of the items without a serial number. Worse still (or it would be the same) if label comes off your in dead schtuck!!

If you want to enter a serial number do so. In the example above there wasn't many items that you couldn't recognise by the description alone and so entering a serial number is irrelavent. Plus,a well placed sticker doesn;t come off.

While appreciating the above comments - and not wanting to come over as the "PAT Police", surely the only way of identifying an item is by its unique asset ID which should be married to a Serial Number (either manufactures or one given by the tester). Then there's absolutley no room for error and satifies the requirements of the Code of Practice as well as insurance companies, should they do an audit. This also gives customer greater confidence in the service they're recieving. Also notice duplication of ID numbers towards bottom of list .... could get confusing.

so what do you do with items that have no serial number?? Leads for example. I go to an office full of computers, testing the leads seperatley, they do not have serial numbers to uniquely identify them, and if i give them a unique serial number, how am I going to attach this to the lead?, most often a sticker, which you have already pointed out come off. I think Mr Pat Testing Police Man, you are taking this a little too seriously. 98% of faults are found during the visual inspection and so, when I see a fault and I'm cutting the plug top off and placing a fail sticker on it, I'm not too worried about the serial number.

At the end of the day, nobody takes PAT testing seriously (I appologise if this is your main occupation), especially the customer, and so most electricains don't worry too much about logging each piece of equipment to such detail that we can track it on google earth, especially when some rob dogs are charging 50p an item.

Just realised, when reading your post again, that you comment on duplicate ID numbers in my example I posted, please note the different location description. This was a test on a single company with several departments (ie joinery, building, forestry etc etc) and so, each department started with ID 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
rouke please re-read previous post it says serial id no' given by manufacturer or person carrying out the test, personally i give all items my own id code so no confusion.

Not quite sure I understand, surely all appliances tested on a site is given a unique ID?

Mr Patman argued in his first post that I should be entering serial numbers in my cerificate, I am mearly arguing that this is not always necessary, or possible and that giving each appliance an ID number and description is good enough.

All that needs to be satisfied is that the item has a durable and unique no' that can be referenced when the next inspection is due and that their is no chance of confusion this can either be the serial number of the item or a no' given by the tester.

So whats your point? you've just stepped into this thred asking me to re-read a post, when I have already clearly stated what you have just posted. Mr PatDude critisied my first post, stating that I have not logged serial numbers in the example cert I had posted, and that I had duplicated ID's. I have since posted that serial numbers need not be logged if an ID number is given to an appliance and if you look closely to the cert I posted, the duplicate ID's are for different department, and so can still be clearly identified, Mr Patman then said that you cannot relyon a sticker to identify an appliance and that a serial number should be logged, which I then pointed out that not all appliances have serial numbers, and hence, an ID and description of an appliance should be enough. OK, can we move on?

I have made my own, they are similar to the one above, they just have 1 column for app ID, 1 for description/location and 1 for result (pass or fail).

I have wrote a description at the top though of exactly what every app has been tested for, ie. continuity less than 0.1 ohm, insulation more than 1 Mohm, visual, correct fuse. If need be just write any details on another sheet.

But I don't bother with serial numbers or exact current required or writing every test result for each app. It is impossible to make any money off PAT testing (unless you are doing hospitals or schools or basically being payed off the tax payer) so I have to save time on paperwork and still try and do it right, and I think/hope I do.

Sorry for the late interjection not trying to ruffle feathers but only read lead 3 posts so see your point but may i say duplicating ID tags even over different departments is a no go as items do wonder within the same building, each job and item should be unique and never repeated even if on seperate jobs and locations as this was stressed to me when i did PAT exam, this will only give cause for concern if it gets legal because someone had a accident , you need to show records etc are all independent and not confusable across the board.
Sorry to sound as though i was picking at your post not intention was trying to make a pointer to question you stated but will read further back next time :eek:

Darkwood, fairplay for getting your PAT testing qualification, but to be honest I wouldn't listen too much to the tutors (if we listened to them we would fail everything without a serial no. or wattage etched in). I think it is just common sense to not duplicate ID numbers.

my example were not in the same building, in fact probably over a 6 mile radius,.. hence the duplicte ID's
Sorry ambiguous post, when you said different departments didnt realise you meant different locations to that extent but have known things been moved between departments before like extensions etc, but yes it is all overboard in the way im stressing it but its means if their is an unfortunate death from an tested appliance then your records will be scrutinised and duplicated item even over seperate departments within the same company could make the difference between liability and no grounds for blame...... yes a very unlikely senerio but if someone can win the lottery then it has to work the other way too.

hey guys,

i can probably guess that someone has asked this already but i cant seem to find any links and ive been searching for a while now but im looking for the relevent certificates for pat testing. Does anyone know where i can get my hands on some? Im ill prepared for tomorrow morning and its totally slipped my mind. I need all three certs that i can print off...

can someone point me in the right direction?

cheers big ears :p lol

nick

Reply to Generic PAT Testing Certificates and Forms - Download PAT Testing Certs in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock