Discuss getting 0M ohms L- N on Lighting Circuit and cooker Circuit... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

just because the cooker is switched off does not mean its isolated I was called out to a job because the domestic appliance guy got a belt because the live inside the switch was welded on plus why did you not disconnect the cable at the switch to prove or disprove your reading

....but RCD doesn't trip? Surely if it has a short circuit somewhere I shouldn't be able to liven the installation??

An rcd works on L and N imbalance... If there was a short circuit between them it would not affect the rcd... That would be the mcb's job.

More than likely a a load connected. Have you disconnected it from the rcd? Lol!

you may "wantyourNVQ", but as needasparks says, think about how an RCD works.

It detects an imbalance in a circuit between live conductors and live. Conductors and earth, hence short circuits and earth faults,
No need to be so patronizing mate for your information I created this name in 2009 looking for help and advice about doing so, with no success but have completed my assessments anyway, this is a forum for people to get help when they need it not to get scrutinized by idiots like you

It detects an imbalance in a circuit between live conductors and live. Conductors and earth, hence short circuits and earth faults,
No need to be so patronizing mate for your information I created this name in 2009 looking for help and advice about doing so, with no success but have completed my assessments anyway, this is a forum for people to get help when they need it not to get scrutinized by idiots like you

Well, it wasn't actually patronising, I was genuinely asking you to think about how an RCD actually works. The imbalance is actually caused when there is leakage between line and earth, or neutral and earth, not short circuits as such, and that will make a huge difference to your fault-finding
Still, call me an idiot if you like, and carry on, as you seem to already know it all.

Last edited:

But guitarist is correct, you need to learn how an rcd works first before your let loose with a test kit, go on touch live and neutral together... It will be the overcurrent protection that will operate not the rcd..

I created this name in 2009 looking for help and advice about doing so, with no success but have completed my assessments anyway

Don't take this the wrong way but in 3 years, you've passed your assessments yet something as simple as this has foxed you?? Time for more experience me thinks.

I hope you soft tested between the L & N as you may find the connected load is now not working due to being fried!

Reply to getting 0M ohms L- N on Lighting Circuit and cooker Circuit... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock