Discuss Getting 10v on Steel Capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

impish15

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi All

Recently bought a wandering lead and was practicing with it on a few of my relative houses checking if metal sockets / fittings / appliances had continuity etc and also checked 0v on some of the fittings. Couple of items with no continuity (CPC popped out at the back so re-terminated)

At one of the house there was exposed galvanised steel capping from the consumer unit up to the ceiling and I got a reading of 10v.

I couldn’t do any further investigation as I had to leave. Relatives are away currently so house is unoccupied.

What is the best way to tackle this? I was planning on removing the capping (obviously with power turned off) to see where the 10v could be coming from (possibly damaged cable insulation?). Once issue rectified replaced the steel capping with plastic trucking. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Any other tests I can do? Test instruments I could use to assist me?

Also is steel capping usually exposed? I thought they were generally covered over when plastering.

Many thanks in advance

Capping on the surface does seem strange. Is it on an exposed brick wall where they thought it was getting plastered eventually?

What are you testing to? The earth bar at the consumer unit?

With the power off of course, you could IR test between each outgoing circuit and the capping to find continuity, but if you’re planning on replacing the capping with plastic trunking anyway, then forego the testing and just remove it carefully. You might just visually find a nailed cable or whatever.

I’ll just advise that, with a trainee tag, know your limits….

As @cliffed said. IR testing L and N together to the cpc bar is a good start. I was also going to suggest testing to the capping but was beaten to it!
I think I’d test anyway in case a cable has been pulled too tight and a Neutral is touching the capping. I’d like to know before swapping to plastic so I can see how bad it is and proceed accordingly.

Capping on the surface does seem strange. Is it on an exposed brick wall where they thought it was getting plastered eventually?

What are you testing to? The earth bar at the consumer unit?

With the power off of course, you could IR test between each outgoing circuit and the capping to find continuity, but if you’re planning on replacing the capping with plastic trunking anyway, then forego the testing and just remove it carefully. You might just visually find a nailed cable or whatever.

I’ll just advise that, with a trainee tag, know your limits….
That probably makes sense regarding them thinking it’ll get plastered over as one wall in the cupboard is plastered over but the other isn’t

I was testing to the MET in this instance assuming there would be no difference to testing to the earthing bar in the consumer unit but I can do that next when I’m down if necessary

Yes and noted regarding knowing my limits :)

As @cliffed said. IR testing L and N together to the cpc bar is a good start. I was also going to suggest testing to the capping but was beaten to it!
I think I’d test anyway in case a cable has been pulled too tight and a Neutral is touching the capping. I’d like to know before swapping to plastic so I can see how bad it is and proceed accordingly.
Yes same here i’d like to know also before changing to plastic so will definitely complete some testing first

I was testing to the MET in this instance assuming there would be no difference to testing to the earthing bar in the consumer unit but I can do that next when I’m down if necessary
Correct - should be the same result.

I had an interesting fault a year or so ago when I’d completely disconnected two legs of a ring for testing and was getting voltage of about 15v between the two neutrals - my tester alerted me and refused to test.
It turned out to be a N snagged on capping and a N from another circuit that was live snagged on same capping.

Correct - should be the same result.

I had an interesting fault a year or so ago when I’d completely disconnected two legs of a ring for testing and was getting voltage of about 15v between the two neutrals - my tester alerted me and refused to test.
It turned out to be a N snagged on capping and a N from another circuit that was live snagged on same capping.
This is good to know. I’ll bare this in mind whilst I investigate

You said:
I got a reading of 10v.
Without specifying which two points the 10V was measured between. The capping and ?
Earth, we might presume but it should always be stated.

Did you expect there to be no voltage between the capping and earth? Is the capping connected to earth? If not, why would you assume them to be at the same potential? If the capping is not connected to anything, it is free to take up any potential it likes, 10V, 100V, 1000V to any other thing. But there is a small amount of capacitive coupling from it to everything around it and small currents can pass through the capacitive reactance to induce or remove a potential on the capping. It's the same principle that a Volt-Stick uses to sense voltage without a connection.

Most of the stray capacitance from the capping is to earthy things around it, so it will tend to take up an earthy potential. But if there are energised line conductors nearby, e.g. the enclosed T+E, there will be a small amount of capacitance to line. This works like a voltage divider and will pull the capping to a voltage between the two but much nearer earth than line. The actual voltage tells you little, other than that the capping is near some live cables. It's often called a 'ghost voltage' - it's still a real voltage but its source has such a high impedance that it is hard even to measure consistently.

Q: How would you go about distinguishing between:
A) 10V ghost voltage relative to earth, on a piece of capping that is genuinely floating, i.e. not in contact with any conductors, and
B) 10V relative to earth, on the same piece of capping that has come into solid contact with a conductor 10V from earth, e.g. where a fixing has hit a neutral conductor.

A) 10V ghost voltage relative to earth, on a piece of capping that is genuinely floating, i.e. not in contact with any conductors, and
B) 10V relative to earth, on the same piece of capping that has come into solid contact with a conductor 10V from earth, e.g. where a fixing has hit a neutral conductor

I'd start by using a "proper" meter: 😇😇😇
Getting 10v on Steel Capping 1661154015357 - EletriciansForums.net

B) 10V relative to earth, on the same piece of capping that has come into solid contact with a conductor 10V from earth, e.g. where a fixing has hit a neutral conductor

I'd start by using a "proper" meter:😇😇😇
Ooh...drool....you tart! You'll be saying you have one for it next:
Getting 10v on Steel Capping 1661177823094 - EletriciansForums.net
B) 10V relative to earth, on the same piece of capping that has come into solid contact with a conductor 10V from earth, e.g. where a fixing has hit a neutral conductor.
Seeing as no one has answered, I think easiest is to disprove B with an IR test. Once B is eliminated it becomes A by default.

10V relative to earth would produce some arcing when a wire is connected between the capping and earth.

When the same procedure is carried out with a 10V ghost voltage no arcing should occur

I really aimed that question at the OP who is a trainee. Good to see some old hardware still in use though.

Reply to Getting 10v on Steel Capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock