Discuss Getting a new oven and wondering what work I’ll need an electrician to do in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jlawsonuk

DIY
Reaction score
I’m going to get a new oven but suspect the current one is wired differently to how the new one will need to be done. Old one is connected as per the pics. I.e it’s on it’s own circuit with a red oven switch, but the actual connection is via a socket behind some drawers. The new oven will be more powerful so I’m guessing the socket will need to be replaced with hard wiring. Is this a big job and would Curry‘s installers do this or would they run a mile? If they won’t do it I guess I’ll have to get an electrician first.

Attachments

• CA2F801C-1DE4-4320-8544-94D9D15B33BF.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 38
  • C47FF460-CE04-41D0-A45C-F7368F7901F4.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 27B451C7-7358-48DB-8BE2-22C50CD959DD.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 39
I have found installers from some well known retailers will refuse to install a new oven or hob or cooker if they find the slightest issue.

Sometimes they rightly do find an issue, but sometimes they appear to find one when there isn't. One recent one I recall, the installer told the customer they did not have an earth, when I tested the installation it was perfectly fine, as was the cooker connection point (they used my invoice to get a refund from the company).

Another one I've come across a few times, is where the appliance info says it should be on a 32A or 40A circuit, but the cooker circuit is 50A (common in old Dorman Smith consumer units from the 70's). I've had to change the circuit breaker to keep them happy.

I might be cynical, but sometimes I suspect problems are 'found' when it is late in the day and tea or dinner beckons.

Hi - If you would post what your new oven will be (and hob?) more specific responses would be possible :) .

Hi - If you would post what your new oven will be (and hob?) more specific responses would be possible :) .
Hi
Current oven is a 2.3kW whirlpool single built-under, and the new one is a 4.3kW AEG double built-under.
Hob won’t be touched at all.
Thanks!!

The new oven is likely to be ok for connection to the existing cooker switch. But exactly how that’s done does depend on how those 2 existing outlets have been cabled behind the cupboard. I think it’s unlikely your Delivery Guy will want to get involved to that level and you might be best served to have an Electrician do it. The Delivery Guys are usually ok to make a connection, but not to alter the fixed wiring.

A 4.3kW double oven won’t work off a 13A plug, whereas your old one may have.

Depending on the size of the hob, they can both be connected to the cooker switch.

Reply to Getting a new oven and wondering what work I’ll need an electrician to do in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net