Discuss Getting an Isolator fitted - With pics.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks, First time post here.....

I'm about to start upgrading my kitchen - and I've got a few bits of wiring to sort. No big issue, but the main thing that needs doing is the backboard for the consumer unit needs changing. Reason being - there used to be an electric storage heating system fitted, with its own meter and CU. This has been removed, however the board is rotten and the old tails are still wired into the fusebox (but checked and and not live!) They are capped/taped up and just sitting behind the hole where the old heating CU was.

The old fusebox at the bottom - I assume to have ONLY the cutout fuse in it, and not an isolator switch?

I Guess the problem here is the tails up to the consumer unit are constant live, and without removing the CU, I'll not be able to change that back board.

Option 1 : Cut the seal on the fuse box and(I assume) cutout fuse, Fit an DP 100a isolator switch, and then go safely about the jobs I need to do.

Option 2 : Contact my energy supplier who will fit an isolator switch for just £60 -however its a 4 week wait, and that will essentially hold my kitchen up for those 4 weeks.

I'm open to any suggestions or advice (other than working it live.....)

Screenshot_20171204-122658.png Screenshot_20171204-122703.png

James, in all honesty you shouldn't be trying to do this work, it's to complicated and dangerous for a DIYer to attempt, do yourself a favour and get an Electrician in to sort that mess out for you

you start playing with that my friend. by better order a pine box .

PINE? Cheeky sod, Mahogany for me!

Again, I wasn't intending on pulling the cutout fuse myself! I'm well aware of the dangers thanks.

Part of the issue here is the SP seals - And the 4 week wait for my energy supplier to fit a simple isolation switch. The few sparks I have asked, including the one I intend to move things about, pretty much refuse to touch the SP seals.

The few sparks wimpsI have asked, including the one I intend to move things about, pretty much refuse to touch the SP seals.

corrected that for you

To be fair, it's all very well them cutting the seals and saying it'll be fine, but it's me that needs to deal with the DNO when it comes to meter reading etc.

Until the Electric company start installing DP isolators I will continue to cut the seals. I'm not working live and to be honest how are they going to prove it ?
Even if i was the last in whos to prove the meter guy crimpped the seal properly in the first place?

It's a good excuse though if I ever want to delay a job for a few month's.

This is the second time in the last few days someone mentions a "isolator required"and getting panicky about seals
Why should fitting a isolator involve anything to do with sealso_O

Thats 2 lucrative jobs that could have come my way in a short time :eek: There must surely be a few bob in this fitting of isolators lark

pulling a modern fuse is not an issue really assuming no load on it, but some of them old ones are a bit iffy at best and even the DNO wont pull them before cutting the supply outside and would rather install a new service head, which says how dangerous they think it is!
If you got one of the really old ceramic and asbestos ones, then i would never even consider touching that for a couple hundred quid job, my life is worth considerably more!

So I've gone with the safe option - My supplier are arranging an install of a isolator before xmas. Slightly better time frame than first though.

Should allow us to change the back plate quickly and safely, and then allow the consumer unit to be changed over should need be.

Thanks for the input folks - Looks like I'll not need the marigolds after all ;-)

Last DNO isolator fitting cafuffle,i was embroiled in,was 2 weeks ago,where a cheerful and affable young meter/isolator fitter,genuinely did not know how to configure a 4 pole device on an RHT meter.

After a short,tense exchange of views,i drew him a quick sketch,explaining how the situation,he was convinced would arise...was NOT the case.

He had a brief head-in-hands moment...then jacked,and the job got passed to a "more experienced" isolator magician.

Bearing in mind,the number of meter changes that are done...and will have to be re-done and done again...before the meter,would be an ideal position,but they don't agree...wonder why? ;)

If the board is the actual meter board ie property of dno they will change it for free if it is rotten, used to get lots of these either wet rot or woodworm. Usually done within a couple of days. I always used to carry isolator switches, and would fit one if the consumer asked, for free! Ain't I the good guy?

Lads who came to one of my jobs,to swap out an old fused neutral cut-out,didn't have any board,with them,despite the previous inspector having been told it was rotten...

The two lads were great,they removed the cut-out and made safe,then i fitted a nice piece of phenolic bonded resin board,a bit taller,to improve fitting of extra items.

They then fitted the new cut-out and isolator...lovely job,in an hour and a quarter,NorthWest Electric's finest hour :)

Reply to Getting an Isolator fitted - With pics.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net