Discuss Getting DNO to provide an earth... What are my chances? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
The missus' parents asked me to pop over and sort a nuisance trip problem the other week. Solved it with a new RCD, but noticed that the system was a TT, protected by a knackered VOELCB.

Said to them I'd have to come back and put an RCD over the whole system, but was then wondering whether the DNO would just upgrade it to PME if I asked.

It's an overhead supply, but the house isn't exactly out in the sticks... It's in a fairly large village about 3 miles from Oxford.

I've heard people say that in some areas the DNO will happily upgrade the supply on request. What does everyone think my chances are?

in a word..crap!...best you`l get out of them is `well come and do it but we want cash for it`...just RCD the whole install...is there a garage with supply to it here as well?

The DNO have a legal responsibility to provide an earth unless you are on a TT system.

If you are on a TT and cant get a stable earth then the DNO must come out and change you to PME or TN-S by law!

The DNO have a legal responsibility to provide an earth unless you are on a TT system.

If you are on a TT and cant get a stable earth then the DNO must come out and change you to PME or TN-S by law!
no they dont....they have a legal obligation to maintain an earthing arrangement using their aperatus..thats all....they DONT have a legal obligation to just provide you with an earth....lol....

If the overhead supply has been PME'd then you stand a very good chance that the local DNO will supply you with a PME connection. Generally it's always been free of charge, It's only been relatively recent that some supply companies have been charging for this connection. Even if they do charge, (as i say most Don't) it's money well spent....

A PME connection is always going to be far better than a standard UK TT installation relying totally on a single RCD for your earth fault protection. So make the call to the DNO and ask if that connection is available. Let's face it, if you don't at least ask, you won't know and you won't get!!!

I can't understand why anybody would advise you not to bother inquiring!!!!

If the overhead supply has been PME'd then you stand a very good chance that the local DNO will supply you with a PME connection. Generally it's always been free of charge, It's only been relatively recent that some supply companies have been charging for this connection. Even if they do charge, (as i say most Don't) it's money well spent....

A PME connection is always going to be far better than a standard UK TT installation relying totally on a single RCD for your earth fault protection. So make the call to the DNO and ask if that connection is available. Let's face it, if you don't at least ask, you won't know and you won't get!!!

If only, got to change the girlfriends parents DB, went to look the other day only earthed via the water pipe. Rang western power who cahrge £119 plus vat to fit a PME :rant:

I've never been refused yet, I think a lot of people just like to DNO bash. Its as simple as dialling a number and asking them to do it, could be £35+vat, could be £119+vat. Their as hard up as the rest of us so they tend to charge now when once they didn't. No harm in a phone call, or a site visit.

No they don't, and they can't upgrade you unless it is available!

Just arranged a PME upgrade for a client of my own. The DNO want to charge a hundred and something odd quid but like I mentioned to the client, it's worth every penny as their system is maintained and more reliable than the current earthing arrangement that is being used.

Not too sure about the 77 quid that they want to fit an isolator though, seems a bit steep to me???

Current earth is a 2.5mm length of cable going out through the wall to a piece of bent over copper tube, I sh*t you not. No clamps, just wrapped around the pipe in the flower bed and gas/water pipes in the house. (Blue/Brown T&E)

My recent DNO visit resulted in them supplying and earth at a property that has never had one from the day electric was taken to the property. No earth rod anywhere either.

No charge, just said they'd replace old service head and supply an earth.

Just arranged a PME upgrade for a client of my own. The DNO want to charge a hundred and something odd quid but like I mentioned to the client, it's worth every penny as their system is maintained and more reliable than the current earthing arrangement that is being used.

Not too sure about the 77 quid that they want to fit an isolator though, seems a bit steep to me???

Current earth is a 2.5mm length of cable going out through the wall to a piece of bent over copper tube, I sh*t you not. No clamps, just wrapped around the pipe in the flower bed and gas/water pipes in the house. (Blue/Brown T&E)

Interested to know what readings you got for pfc etc?

and who advised anyone against trying their hand with the DNO eh?..

My recent DNO visit resulted in them supplying and earth at a property that has never had one from the day electric was taken to the property. No earth rod anywhere either.

No charge, just said they'd replace old service head and supply an earth.
well arn`t you the spawny one then.....as believe me they usually will charge....or attempt to fob you off over the phone...lol...,

and who advised anyone against trying their hand with the DNO eh?..

Depends on what you mean by stating ''in a word..crap!..''

Oh, and just because your local area DNO charge, doesn't mean that ALL the DNO's charge for providing a PME connection, as there are many that Don't!!!

Gotta love this forum. You can't write comedy like this. Pure entertainment and the occasional good advice :ciappa:

Nicholas they dont have to supply and earth and also they just fought off a lobby from the Electrical Safety Council not to fit a intergrated or seperate isolator for smart meters in other words if its going to cost then they aint doing it but they will do it for a charge
you can thank the current government for the isolators they thought it would be too much cost on the poor DNO

Forgot to add that they are only legally obliged to maintain an existing earth and if you see a earth clamp on a sheath then thats questionable or chargeable

Reply to Getting DNO to provide an earth... What are my chances? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock