Discuss Getting into the dark arts of EV charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I was just looking at EV courses last night and came across the NICEIC one that would be held in various venues, one being fairly close to me.

I am not registered with any scheme at the moment and thats something else im looking into, but so far not needed to be (in Scotland, no P to bother with)

The courses dont say i have to be in a scheme to sit the course, but i would have to be if the customer wanted to apply for a grant. Is this correct?

Cheers lister.

That basically means there’s no point doing the training until I am a member of a scheme?
More hoops and more money.

⚡?

The NIC course seems to be open to all, but you would need to be part of a scheme to notify under part p, which isnt an issue in jockland. (yet)

The screenshot above also suggests you need to notify DVLA as well...

Just noticed thats not the scottish govt website.....

I was just looking at EV courses last night and came across the NICEIC one that would be held in various venues, one being fairly close to me.

I am not registered with any scheme at the moment and thats something else im looking into, but so far not needed to be (in Scotland, no P to bother with)

The courses dont say i have to be in a scheme to sit the course, but i would have to be if the customer wanted to apply for a grant. Is this correct?
You are correct.

You don't have to be on a scheme to do the NICEIC EVCP course, but you do need to be with a scheme in order to register with OZEV in order to claim the grant. I found the NIC course 'ok'. You kind of know most of it already though.

When you register with OZEV they only ask for proof of your scheme membership. They do ask you to tick a box saying that you have been taught how to install EVCP (I.e the NIC course or equivalent) but they don't ask for proof.

Most of my jobs are grant led.
You’ll need to be AC with either SELECT Or NICEIC. IIRC whichever chargers you want to install you’ll need to prove CPS membership.
I did the NICEIC course

Ok, so i do the course, and can advertise i can install chargers, but i don't advertise the fact there's a grant available.
I guess that's up to you. Whilst I wasn't OZEV registered I let my customers know there was a grant and advised them to go elsewhere, as I couldn't compete financially. It pays in the long run with regards reputation.

Got the course on Monday coming, and reading through the bumff, it appears i need a book.....
"IET Code of Practice for Electrical Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation (latest revision)"

That is, dependent on my wife's PCR test for covid. She's been coughing a few days and we've been putting it down to hay fever.... no other symptoms. She does 2 x lateral flow tests per week with working in a nursery in primary school, and all have been negative. (although one of schools she works in sent all their P6 home a couple weeks ago)

Her doctor finally called back after she tried getting an appointment yesterday, and he said, without looking at her, that it could be covid... so shes getting the pcr test sent out.... by the time she sends it back, and gets the result, the household has to isolate.... so thats me off work for the foreseeable.
I might have to miss the course on monday

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the course on Monday coming, and reading through the bumff, it appears i need a book.....
"IET Code of Practice for Electrical Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation (latest revision)"

That is, dependent on my wife's PCR test for covid. She's been coughing a few days and we've been putting it down to hay fever.... no other symptoms. She does 2 x lateral flow tests per week with working in a nursery in primary school, and all have been negative. (although one of schools she works in sent all their P6 home a couple weeks ago)

Her doctor finally called back after she tried getting an appointment yesterday, and he said, without looking at her, that it could be covid... so shes getting the pcr test sent out.... by the time she sends it back, and gets the result, the household has to isolate.... so thats me off work for the foreseeable.
I might have to miss the course on monday
You can get the ebook from the IET if that’s any help.

https://shop.------.org/code-of-pra...charging-equipment-installation-4th-edition-2

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve ordered the book from CEF, should come tomorrow.
Same time as the PCR test, which should have been today. If that comes tomorrow, tests sends back…. Hopefully we get result before Monday.

it’s not me that’s having symptoms, so would it be bad of me to do the course anyway and not say anything when I should be isolating, not knowing the outcome?
Or should I just contact them and try to rearrange?
Getting my money back isn’t an option at this late stage.

Somebody’s making a few quid out of all this pointless testing imo. That’s a conversation for another thread though. Once you and people you are meeting are double jabbed what the hell is the point. If you die after two jabs bad luck, that’s life.

Don’t think anyone here is going to advise you to break the government guidelines…

Wife got a text from COVID testing place saying “your PCR test will be delivered today between… bla bla”
That’s fine, but then it says “not going to be in?……”

Excuse me? Where the hell do think we will be? We were told to isolate!! ?

Just got a negative result via text. So everything is back on track. Got the book yesterday, so will be going on the course on Monday.

due to the other thread about a van getting broken into, I’ll be emptying my van, as it will be left in a park n ride car park all day.

Course was ok. 100% on multi choice exam, so it couldn’t have been that hard.
Didnt really need the feckin book in the end as there was course notes handed out…. (I think one or two questions I had to use it as the answers were not obvious in the notes)

Reply to Getting into the dark arts of EV charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock