Discuss Getting part p registered again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if I can pick some brains. I am looking at getting part pee registered again. I was registered but lost it as I took work on with a company and didn’t have any work of my own to show and as I was working for company full time and didn’t see the need to renew. I am now looking at getting it back as work has run low. The trouble is all the jobs I have looked at recently that need registering e.g a consumer unit change I mentioned to the customer that I can do the work but I will need to use it for an assessment, and it seems to scare people off, and I lose the job. Has anyone had this issue? If so how did they get over it? I used my own house the last time, but the scam, sorry scheme has said I can’t use the same place twice. So just wondering how others got over it. Maybe it’s just a way of working it that I am missing, I don’t know. But If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks in advance.
APE

From my own experience most customers are okay if you mention you might need to use their job for your vetting process.

Worst case you might need to do a cheap mates rates job for a friend / relative and use that instead

Thanks for the response dusty. Unfortunately all friends and family that I have asked don’t need anything done so are not so willing to help. Example: I was called by a potential client on Sunday afternoon, saying I need a fuse board change done that day and want it testing and registered ASAP. I explained to them that I am willing to do the job but will need to use it for registration purposes which takes a number of weeks so cannot be registered so quickly. So the client replied with not to worry will get someone else who can do it now. Just starting to think if this is what I will be up against each time I get called to do a job that needs registering and starting to worry. As I can see it in a way don’t look good on my part.

You have 31days to register the job as far as I know...

You could have done the board change and register it later

That is what I tried to explain to the customer (I thought it was 21 days) but they wanted it all done and finished and wasn’t willing to wait for the assessment and registration I did say that it takes 4-6 weeks for assessment date (not registered yet for assessment). Don’t know why but wanted the job done, tested and registered by Monday just gone. Very strange.

That is what I tried to explain to the customer (I thought it was 21 days) but they wanted it all done and finished and wasn’t willing to wait for the assessment and registration I did say that it takes 4-6 weeks for assessment date (not registered yet for assessment). Don’t know why but wanted the job done, tested and registered by Monday just gone. Very strange.

I personally have never yet met a customer insist that the job is done and registration completed within a 12 hour window

Well that was what was asked of me. Don’t know why. Seems strange and just got me thinking how am I going to get registered if customers expect that sort of turn around? Maybe they had their reasons and the next customer will be more laid back about it. Just wondering if it’s me not explaining things so customer understands but in turn making me look bad. But definitely agree I think it would be easier to get friend/ family to help. But none seem to need anything doing at the moment.

Why not join a different scheme provider and use your own home again
Or....…….use the same one and change your CU to a metal one, as required these days. Pop a local socket in for a new circuit, too.
It's a different job to the original one.

Or....…….use the same one and change your CU to a metal one, as required these days. Pop a local socket in for a new circuit, too.
It's a different job to the original one.
Asked them but said definitely can’t use my place again, as already used.But maybe if I change to a different provider and change board at home. It may work.

Out of interest if I was to change, who would you recommend? I was with ELECSA and found them good and helpful on the whole. But if I was to change who would you recommend?

Reply to Getting part p registered again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock