Discuss getting part P, some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, im new to this forum so a big hello, and I hope someone can help...............

I try not to bamble on too much, but my background is that I was a spark improver after working as a electrician for agencies mostly for about 12 years; I have C&G 2360 Pts 1 & 2 qualifications. I stopped sparking about 6 years ago after an attempted career change :ack2: and taking an extended holiday abroad. Therefore im a bit out of the loop with all these new qualifcations. I have found a new lease of life and want to get back into electrical work, im considering starting up myself and so now need the Part P. My questions are.

1. Do you have to have a test & inspect qualification to register for part p, I realise that there is now other test & inspect quals other than the 2391, are these other courses (qualifications) sufficient for signing off my own installed work, can anyone recommend a provider ?(im based in London)

2. Would it be better (easier and more progressive) to complete the test & inspect course before or after the 17th edition course (which I also need to complete) ?

3. Do I need to go on a part p coarse atall, as im fairly competent in installation work (house bashing) ?

3. I realise a few Part P providers (Such as Nappit, NICEIC) only register NVQ3 qualified people; for my situation (having just C & G 2360 Pt's 1 &2) which would be the best provider to go for ?

4. If I enrolled on a course to complete my NVQ 3, could I add work to the portfolio that Im carrying out myself (assuming that by this time I was up and running as a part P installer).

Thanks in advance for any help

J

youm deffo need 17th. contact elecsa for the requirements and they'll send you all the details. oh, and make sure you can write a fat cheque.

The basic requirement to join NICEIC ELECSA or NAPIT is to pay them a big lump of money, they don't particularly care about qualifications or competence. An easier way to dispose of this money would be to flush the same sum of money down the toilet, it will do equally as much good there as it will if you give it to them.

Hi, im new to this forum so a big hello, and I hope someone can help...............

I try not to bamble on too much, but my background is that I was a spark improver after working as a electrician for agencies mostly for about 12 years; I have C&G 2360 Pts 1 & 2 qualifications. I stopped sparking about 6 years ago after an attempted career change :ack2: and taking an extended holiday abroad. Therefore im a bit out of the loop with all these new qualifcations. I have found a new lease of life and want to get back into electrical work, im considering starting up myself and so now need the Part P. My questions are.

1. Do you have to have a test & inspect qualification to register for part p, I realise that there is now other test & inspect quals other than the 2391, are these other courses (qualifications) sufficient for signing off my own installed work, can anyone recommend a provider ?(im based in London)

you dont need any , but the 2394 will be beneficial for initial testing of your own work

2. Would it be better (easier and more progressive) to complete the test & inspect course before or after the 17th edition course (which I also need to complete) ?

Do the 17th regs first , its more important.

3. Do I need to go on a part p coarse atall, as im fairly competent in installation work (house bashing) ?

No

3. I realise a few Part P providers (Such as Nappit, NICEIC) only register NVQ3 qualified people; for my situation (having just C & G 2360 Pt's 1 &2) which would be the best provider to go for ?

2360 parts 1 & 2 is far superior to nvq L3 , dont feel like youre under-qualified , youre not , any scheme will do.

4. If I enrolled on a course to complete my NVQ 3, could I add work to the portfolio that Im carrying out myself (assuming that by this time I was up and running as a part P installer).

You dont need to be in any scheme to build a work portfolio , in fact it will be faster working as a agency subby doing commercial work , domestic wont give you the installation variety to complete the nvq

Thanks in advance for any help

J

​..................

Last edited by a moderator:
So from what I see I just need the 17th edition to be able to register for the dreaded Part P. I will likely do a test & inspect course to bring me up to scratch.

Tbh im having a bit of a head scratching dialema as to how to progress. I could go back to subbing, get my NVQ 3 portfolio complete = JIB Gold card, but a JIB card in itself wouldn't allow me to sign off work for myself. Choices,choices.

You can sign off work for yourself as soon as you are competant to do so, you don't need any scam registrations for that.

The only thing you get from throwing your money away to a scam is an easy route to notifying certain domestic work to LABC. But if you have a sensible conversation with your LABC before starting any notifiable work you will more than likely not even need the scams.

You can sign off work for yourself as soon as you are competant to do so, you don't need any scam registrations for that.

The only thing you get from throwing your money away to a scam is an easy route to notifying certain domestic work to LABC. But if you have a sensible conversation with your LABC before starting any notifiable work you will more than likely not even need the scams.

Thats right, but I plan on doing more than one or two private domestic jobs a year, hoping for one or two a week ! lm seriously considering starting up alone; ive had it with recruitment agencies, payroll companies, and commuting on the tube every day; its killing me.

Last edited:
Ok, been sitting up into the early hours looking into this. So imagine I decide to not get Part P registered, then subsequently get asked to do a notifiable job; so i contact Building control and they agree that I can carry out the work and have to send them a completed certificate; how much (average) would the cost be ? Does it cost anything ?, I expect it does.

I dont want to do part P if i dont really need to, but if its costing me alot to notify building control each time i do notifiable work then wouldn't it would be cheaper (over the year) to register with the cheapest scam provider. ? Another question:- has building control always had this notifiable work thing in place or was it all part of the new pt P deal ?

Your F###ed if you do, and potentially really f###ed if you dont.

Reminds me of that film Brazil with Bob Hoskins as the dodgy plumber.

Last edited:
Thats right, but I plan on doing more than one or two private domestic jobs a year, hoping for one or two a week ! lm seriously considering starting up alone; ive had it with recruitment agencies, payroll companies, and commuting on the tube every day; its killing me.

Well, get used to the idea of a sore back, sore wrists, hips, knees, ...... Its not (necessarily) an easy job, just different!

best thing is to contact stroma. they tell you what they want in terms of qualifications.you pay them and book an assessment once you have 17th . PL insurance, calibrated test gear, and all the books required.

Explain to me what this part P thing is. You seem to think you have to do it so you must be able to tell me that it involves.

No i dont know exactly about it, thats why I started the thread. Can you tell me why I shouldn't have to do it, and how I would go about doing work on peoples houses without it ? I really want to know

No i dont know exactly about it, thats why I started the thread. Can you tell me why I shouldn't have to do it, and how I would go about doing work on peoples houses without it ? I really want to know

Like Mr. Settle said in post #15 ,

part p is the electrical section of the building regulations that covers new build & refurbishment of domestic dwellings

Electrical Contractor organisations offer membership to competent person schemes which if signed up with , allow you to to complete notifiable electrical work without seeking planning consent from the local council and the fees they charge for this.

You sure you want to commit to all this rubbish ?

seriously , lifes easier as a commercial subby - more interesting work , less paperwork , no dealing with the public and chasing payment.

Last edited by a moderator:

It sounds like you have the relevant knowledge, but may benefit from doing a simple refresher course of some sort, and obviously the 17th.

Part P is part of the building regs, not a qualification or course.

You can view the approved document P here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

I think the scheme providers now require an nvq3, but i think Elecsa are still accepting candidates with just the 17th :ciappa:

Probably worth ringing a few for details.

I think the scheme providers now require an nvq3, but i think Elecsa are still accepting candidates with just the 17th :ciappa:

Probably worth ringing a few for details.

If the scheme providers are now requiring an NVQ3 for registration, then it makes a bit more sense. Why the NVQ 3 was not a requirement when it was first launched is beyond me, but I expect they done this to make £££££££££ from the 5 week brigade.

In my situation, If I Want to start up on my own, its just extra money to do an irrelevant NVQ3 so there is no immediate incentive to do so.

However, driving round with a "Domestic Installer" badge on my van does nothing for my prestige, and would rather have an "approved" badge, so that might be the tipping point for me and an incentive to get my NVQ3 and 2391.

What's the consensus of this sites members in regards to electricians with "Domestic Installer badges" on their vans ? (this should be interesting).

Have anyone here, who's well qualified and been in the job for along time; ever been treated as second rate, sneered at, and generally looked down upon for having a "domestic Installer Badge" on the van. I'm asking because I want to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Reply to getting part P, some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net