Discuss Getting Qualified but not working in the industry in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

SeanA

-
Reaction score
Strange question but I am 25 and working in a completely unrelated industry and I was wondering how I could become qualified as a domestic installation electrician not to work as an electrician but rather to be able to do my own domestic work on my own property safely and to comply with insurance rules about getting work done by a qualified person.

I have looked at distance courses by training providers and evening classes at my local colleges and I was wondering if any of them are worth doing?

I believe most domesticated installer courses are around £3000-£5000

So unless you plan to do ‘some’ paid work after qualifying it is a waste of money imo

You can also re-wire your own house and pay building control to sign it off for around £300 last time I looked

SeanA
Most DI courses will not include the inspection and testing qualifications needed, e.g. C&G 2382, plus the multifunctional meter and voltage tester.

I undertook so as to be able to produce evidence to of having done it, as well as to brush up on my skills not having done domestic work for many years. To be quite frank it was a complete waste of time and money and more worrying trainees were about to be given Stanley knives until I stepped in and pointed out that this is not the correct way to strip wire and can be highly dangerous. In the wrong situation you could easily slice into your femoral artery and bleed to death in the time it has taken to write this post. I learnt absolutely nothing that could not be picked up with a good DIY shop leaflet yet the piece of paper you get. The tools and even worse, the equipment to be installed had been so used and abused that the tops of the terminal screws had rounded off, and as had the screwdriver heads. Over the weekend my work was removed and reinstalled by a weekend training course who made such a mess of it that apparently qualified instructors had to stay behind to make good. They were pretty poor because I had to put right their shambolic work, and when testing found that they had reversed L and N in one of the sockets !
Most house rewires also result in additional sockets, different lighting, etc being added so you will need to know how to calculate the loadings for each of the circuits.
Worth also confirming if your insurance company will maintain the insurance if you do the work yourself, as with respect you will still be a novice albeit a novice with a little training and no background experience to fall back on, which in my view can be a highly dangerous combination.

All in all as has been suggested already, it will be far cheaper, easier and you will get a much better end result if you engage a qualified and experienced electrician.

Reply to Getting Qualified but not working in the industry in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net