Discuss GEWiSS Isolator help... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LewisM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently testing a factory and having difficulty removing an isolator cover to test a circuit. Usually, it's just a case of switching off and removing screws however the cover doesn't seem to want to come off as if the mechanism is stuck but it definitely is working as you get a real positive lock and before I break it or change it needlessly is there something silly I'm over looking lol

Thanks Lewis GEWiSS Isolator help... PXL_20220621_195642803 - EletriciansForums.net

Did you take the little screw on the red rotary part of the isolator out also?
Yeah then under is two more little screws on the yellow part which must hold the assembly together however I didn't want to take those out incase all hell broke loose as they need the machine.

Yes remove those two screws and it will come apart, the rest inside should stay put if the two plastic fixing tabs top and bottom on the rotary part haven't broken off and they do! Also you will find that the terminal screws are ridiculously small and fragile.
I hate those isolators with a passion. If I ever quote for a job with those installed I will always quote to replace them, yes I hate them that much!!
Sy

You need to switch the isolator off to test it.

Looking at it, the four corner screws would come out, the lid would come off, but the yellow part would stay as it’s mounted on a din rail

(??)

You have to take it totally apart middle grub screw on red rotor then two internals on yellow done loads of theese whilst connecting cabin supplies
Perfect thanks mate knew it would be something simple never fitted these and normally you just switch it off take the 4 cover screws off

It's sods law that if your being watched and your trying to open something for the first time you'll invariably look a chump. If working alone it will all go perfectly and logically. Quite a long time ago I was trying to work out opening a Sangamo time clock for the first time, I was totally over thinking it and the pins were a bit rusty. A plumber had to show me how to do it!!!

Anyway, working on those isolators is nearly always an unpleasant experience and before touching one I try to have a spare unit handy. I concur that you only have to sneeze near the terminal screws and they snap.

Probably breaks some H & S rules, but, with the addition of a couple of short self tapping screws, it's possible to reassemble these switches so that the cover can be removed without all the rotary part dismantling
Not actually a requirement, but it's good practice to include a banjo under the SWA gland nut, and tie it into the cpc..

Probably breaks some H & S rules, but, with the addition of a couple of short self tapping screws, it's possible to reassemble these switches so that the cover can be removed without all the rotary part dismantling
Think I'd be fearing plastic cracking.

Reply to GEWiSS Isolator help... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock