SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

USA GFCI issue

Discuss GFCI issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a garage refrigerator that immediately trips GFCI when plugged directly into GFCI. If I use a heavy ext cord it does not trip. If I move fridge to another outlet fed off of a remotely located GFCI, that one does not trip either. It seems to be fridge related. But no issue when more wire is between GFCI and fridge. GFCI is new(replaced) and no other test device trips it. Home is modern)2004) with modern wiring. Worked for years and one day this issue began. Any ideas? Thank you.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
D

Deleted member 105166

When you are running the fridge off the extension cord, is it still connected to the same GFCI at the board, or is it on a different circuit? If it is cumulative leakage causing the tripping, moving it onto a different circuit may be why it does not then trip.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
When you are running the fridge off the extension cord, is it still connected to the same GFCI at the board, or is it on a different circuit? If it is cumulative leakage causing the tripping, moving it onto a different circuit may be why it does not then trip.
In the US The fridge is supposed to be on a isolated 20 amp circuit and it doesn’t have to be GFCI. The reason it trips is when the compressor kicks on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes sir. Same GFCI outlet. Same circuit.

What ratings do you use in America

I read somewhere the standard ground fault circuit breaker is 10milli amp which would be seriously prone to nuisance tripping

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
I have a garage refrigerator that immediately trips GFCI when plugged directly into GFCI. If I use a heavy ext cord it does not trip. If I move fridge to another outlet fed off of a remotely located GFCI, that one does not trip either. It seems to be fridge related. But no issue when more wire is between GFCI and fridge. GFCI is new(replaced) and no other test device trips it. Home is modern)2004) with modern wiring. Worked for years and one day this issue began. Any ideas? Thank you.
Cap I can’t really tell you what to do except that in your HOME the refrigerator In the kitchen does not have to be GFIC. now we are talking about GARAGES which all receptacles have to be GFCI protected.

Reply to GFCI issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom