Discuss GFCI WR outlets are tripping whenever I plug something in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am building an outdoor kitchen and have run a subpanel to the kitchen. I have an arc-fault 20 amp breaker with 4 GFCI WR outlets wired in parallel around the kitchen. They are caulked appropriately, with weather rated covers, etc. but for some reason, every time I try to test the outlet - they always trip - every single one of them.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the breaker or I somehow wired the panel/breaker wrong - but the breaker itself NEVER trips - its only the GFCIs that trip simply by plugging something into them.

Any advice on how to debug this would be greatly accepted.

I am building an outdoor kitchen and have run a subpanel to the kitchen. I have an arc-fault 20 amp breaker with 4 GFCI WR outlets wired in parallel around the kitchen. They are caulked appropriately, with weather rated covers, etc. but for some reason, every time I try to test the outlet - they always trip - every single one of them.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the breaker or I somehow wired the panel/breaker wrong - but the breaker itself NEVER trips - its only the GFCIs that trip simply by plugging something into them.

Any advice on how to debug this would be greatly accepted.
I’m about positive they are wired wrong. GFCI receptacles are real sensitive and on the receptacle itself you have a line and a load on the back, the hot cable feeding the other receptacles has to be wired on the line side and be careful because the black in the first cable plus the white has to stay together. If you get one of them crossed it will not work. If you are feeding GFCI receptacles you don’t need an AFCI breaker.

I’m about positive they are wired wrong. GFCI receptacles are real sensitive and on the receptacle itself you have a line and a load on the back, the hot cable feeding the other receptacles has to be wired on the line side and be careful because the black in the first cable plus the white has to stay together. If you get one of them crossed it will not work. If you are feeding GFCI receptacles you don’t need an AFCI breaker.
thanks for this - I'll make sure that I'm using only the line connections on all the receptacles (I think I did that already). My inspector said I needed AFCI breakers (although in reading the NEC that is somewhat of a debate - my outdoor bbq does not have a sink so doesn't fall into a definition of kitchen).

Reply to GFCI WR outlets are tripping whenever I plug something in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net