Discuss Give me your opinion C&G Level 3 or HNC/HND Electrical Electronic Engineering - give me both barrels in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

I have gone through past post on this, but I want some input so give me both barrels.

I am a full qualified heating engineer (gas and oil certified), I worked as a commissioning engineer for large biomass boilers (up to 2MW) these systems are heavily automated, I did this until I was made redundant (job number three to made redundant from). I'm north of 40 years of age. I also have city and guilds level 2 electrotechnical technology (night school) and my 17th edition (this I found made my head hurt).

I want to change my career, I would like to get into automation engineering, PLC programming, repair, maintenance or become a BMS/Trend engineer.

I secured a place on a HNC/HND course but I am having second thoughts and I'm considering just complete my electrical certification/with a qualified electrical engineer, if I can find someone to take me on.

I want to do this for a long time but kept putting it off, kept earning due to family responsibilities. My other half has a good job now (her degree kept me working to pay for this) and we can afford to get by on less money from me.

I work in a manufacturing/factory environment at present (s@!t job), as a maintenance engineer. I like the work just don't like the company I'm working for. I've done a lot of machine maintenance both mechanical and electrical.

Just wants some advice as, if you've got any questions give them to me. On a closing note you can stick comments like this "stick to bending pipe you are properly not smart enough" where the sun don`t shine.

If the 17th edition exam made your head hurt, is a HNC/HND really something you want to do? Have you had a look at what is involved? As the mathematical side of things goes far beyond what a standard electrician (who will have completed the 17th edition exam) is expected to know.

If you've a background in higher (in the case of HND almost degree level) maths then go for it. What HND course have you gotten onto?

Hi All

I have gone through past post on this, but I want some input so give me both barrels.

I am a full qualified heating engineer (gas and oil certified), I worked as a commissioning engineer for large biomass boilers (up to 2MW) these systems are heavily automated, I did this until I was made redundant (job number three to made redundant from). I'm north of 40 years of age. I also have city and guilds level 2 electrotechnical technology (night school) and my 17th edition (this I found made my head hurt).

I want to change my career, I would like to get into automation engineering, PLC programming, repair, maintenance or become a BMS/Trend engineer.

I secured a place on a HNC/HND course but I am having second thoughts and I'm considering just complete my electrical certification/with a qualified electrical engineer, if I can find someone to take me on.

I want to do this for a long time but kept putting it off, kept earning due to family responsibilities. My other half has a good job now (her degree kept me working to pay for this) and we can afford to get by on less money from me.

I work in a manufacturing/factory environment at present (s@!t job), as a maintenance engineer. I like the work just don't like the company I'm working for. I've done a lot of machine maintenance both mechanical and electrical.

Just wants some advice as, if you've got any questions give them to me. On a closing note you can stick comments like this "stick to bending pipe you are properly not smart enough" where the sun don`t shine.
Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask Mate, as someone who has finished with my working life, although I do try to keep up with things.
I had several occasions during my working life where I needed to make a judgement on the way forward, I choose to go where I thought it was best, it meant some hard choices, being away from my family for a long time, it was no joke believe me.
I made these choices because I was the main bread winner, you have a wife / partner who has a good job an the money She brings in supports you all, at least that's what I get from your post.
You have to ask yourself can I survive at what I'm doing now, am I at the right age to make this big step? if you reckoned the 17th hurt your head, the the courses you are talking of, would probably give you a breakdown, I know I tried and couldn't keep up, the older you get the harder it is to take in the info that will come your way, and the home study time will be a strain on family life, at least it was with me, what ever your choice, good luck.

Hi IronB - my 20p worth is very simple - if you want to get more into automation, then do. Doing the HND will occupy your money and time, and not necessarily get you where you want to go (?). I'd recommend focus job hunting in the areas you want. Just get in and take it from there. Large companies will often pay for your further education too.

Hi IronB - my 20p worth is very simple - if you want to get more into automation, then do. Doing the HND will occupy your money and time, and not necessarily get you where you want to go (?). I'd recommend focus job hunting in the areas you want. Just get in and take it from there. Large companies will often pay for your further education too.

Hi Wilko

Thanks for your post, the problem that I'm finding is the jobs I want to apply for all seem to require you to have a minimum standard of an HNC in either an electrical or mechanical standard (most people asking for electrical). With out this qualification you blend into the background or you can't either get the recruitment agent to put you forward for the job.

If the 17th edition exam made your head hurt, is a HNC/HND really something you want to do? Have you had a look at what is involved? As the mathematical side of things goes far beyond what a standard electrician (who will have completed the 17th edition exam) is expected to know.

If you've a background in higher (in the case of HND almost degree level) maths then go for it. What HND course have you gotten onto?

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. The reason for add the comment about it making my head hurt, is the fact that the 17th edition reg's etc is something I don't use on a week in week out bases I only passed because I revised around the clock in weeks before the exam.

The point that I'm trying to put across is, I can't help but wonder if in the long run this will trip me up, as the HNC in Electrical Electronic Engineering qualification does seem to be more theory based, either with it having a certain amount of what they describe as lab work.

Also I would say that the HNC would give me a better inside in to the field of work that I would like to get into, however will I still lack the core valves of an apprentice trained electrician to make it in this field.

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask Mate, as someone who has finished with my working life, although I do try to keep up with things.
I had several occasions during my working life where I needed to make a judgement on the way forward, I choose to go where I thought it was best, it meant some hard choices, being away from my family for a long time, it was no joke believe me.
I made these choices because I was the main bread winner, you have a wife / partner who has a good job an the money She brings in supports you all, at least that's what I get from your post.
You have to ask yourself can I survive at what I'm doing now, am I at the right age to make this big step? if you reckoned the 17th hurt your head, the the courses you are talking of, would probably give you a breakdown, I know I tried and couldn't keep up, the older you get the harder it is to take in the info that will come your way, and the home study time will be a strain on family life, at least it was with me, what ever your choice, good luck.

Hi Pete999

Thanks for your post. Studying at this level does not concern me, I know it will be hard but I know if I put my mind to it I will get through it. My concerns are more on the taking the correct route. As a gent with a wealth of knowledge built up over a life time, I would value your opinion (please could you read my over replies).

Getting the correct foundation to proceed forward is important to me.

Hi Wilko

Thanks for your post, the problem that I'm finding is the jobs I want to apply for all seem to require you to have a minimum standard of an HNC in either an electrical or mechanical standard (most people asking for electrical). With out this qualification you blend into the background or you can't either get the recruitment agent to put you forward for the job.
Ok, I understand. With employment as the goal, perhaps you could enrol and talk it up on job applications? I'd also try approaching your target companies directly. Big yourself up a bit :)

Agree with wilko, I dont see the point of a HNC. You would be better off training with trend, Siemens, or which ever is suited to your goal. Most BMS firms have levels of engineers You could try get in with say "Mardix" on the installation side then work up the ladder, they worked with us alot. Each software has different styles of programming. A HNC would give you just a overall idea, something you could pick in the job quite easy.

Wont your current firm help with a plc course??

Get practical with some old PLC gear of your own .
( Ladder programming may suit you )
or be as alien as maths / calculus .
Not all industry keeps up with modern kit !

Reply to Give me your opinion C&G Level 3 or HNC/HND Electrical Electronic Engineering - give me both barrels in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock