Discuss gland swa at both ends? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wondering if others make off their armoured glands at both ends has have worked with sparks previously and seem to have different takes on it. My thoughts are that if glanded and so earthed at origin is acceptable so if for example supplying a sub board in garage a plastic gland at the board is fine and SWA glanded at origin of supply so house board is fine?

A gland at both ends provides additional cable restraint that a stuffing gland won't to the same level. Should always gland the supply side as a minimum in my opinion. Personally I would always gland both ends, even into a plastic db. Obviously if the armour is also used as CPC then there must be continuity somehow.

As above, plastic glands for TT isolation purposes.

Maybe other odd cases, such as small 3-core SWA in to an outdoor light where they did not really expect a metal gland or provide adequate space for one.

Regulation wise my memory tells me that the SWA should be glanded / earthed at at least one end and preferably the supply end.

I think this is why some people think that glanding at only one end is acceptable.

Regulation wise my memory tells me that the SWA should be glanded / earthed at at least one end and preferably the supply end.

I think this is why some people think that glanding at only one end is acceptable.
That's my point Ferg. I possibly understand the use of SWA gland for adding support to cable or using the SWA for earthing but in terms of an actual shock risk if cable aupported i fail to see one. A live conductor needs to come in contact with the steel sheathing and if this is earthed at supply end all good.

Even if you have a CPC core it is still better to gland both ends so the armour is providing a CPC path. Not just in cases where the armour may not meet adiabatic limits, but just as it reduces the risk of an open CPC if you have parallel paths.
Now that explanation and reasoning I can go with ?

While it is not a common electrical requirement as such, if you correctly terminate the outer screen to the metal work where a cable enters by a gland or connector providing 360 deg contact as you get much better screening of high frequency noise from a EMC perspective.

In power systems this is only likely to be lightning surges, but it is a far more critical requirement for coax cable where taking the braid/shield in as a "pig tail" is very bad news from a radio screening and constant-impedance perspective.

Reply to gland swa at both ends? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock