Discuss Glanding SWA into plastic CCU? Domestic in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Smudge

What are peoples opinions on...

Coming from a metal wylex 80A sw/fuse in a 25mm SWA to feed a plastic consumer unit? A slight differnce of opinion on site this morning!! I'm thinking the consumer unit should be metal cased, although another spark doesn't see why, other than the strength of the board to support the gland. The armour will be earthed at the switch fuse end, and its a 3 core armour for Live, Neutral and earth.

Am i being over cautious? Or are we both talking absolute mince?!?!

or a metal adaptable box under the CU. gland into that and leave tails long enough to go through into CU.

Nothing wrong with doing that, as long as you remember to earth the armourings at, at least one end. As long as it is cleated correctly there shouldn't be a problem with the strength of the gland into the DB.

earthing nuts are great for this BUT finding an area on the C.U. capable of taking a gland is the problem id forsee as tixyLix says galv box n tails to C.u

if you dont wanna/cant fit a galv adaptable box between cable and CU i would just bolt the banjo to the cu like normal and use an earth tail (belt n braces?), as long as the cable is supported properly thats fine

With it being 25mm, i'd gland it into a metal box first as don't think you have much plastic left around the gland once it had been cut for the gland to enter.

Have in the past glanded 10mm and less into plastic enclosures, but just made sure any strain was taken up by the clleats

and make sure the hole at the top of the metal box is fitted with grommet strip or a bush and nut.

i think a metal adaptable box is prob the best solution. Looks like we were both right in our own ways...shame, cause the loser had to buy todays gregs...

Reply to Glanding SWA into plastic CCU? Domestic in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock