Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Glass v Ceramic Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pin145

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a travel adapter that has blown a fuse due to using a hairdryer in Cuba.

I need to replace it. The original has a 2.5amp ceramic fuse in it. Can I put a glass type in or does it have to be ceramic? What are the differences between the two?

Tom

W

WarrenG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a travel adapter that has blown a fuse due to using a hairdryer in Cuba.

I need to replace it. The original has a 2.5amp ceramic fuse in it. Can I put a glass type in or does it have to be ceramic? What are the differences between the two?

Tom
I take it this isn't a British Standard fuse? Either way I would suggest replacing like for like.

P

pin145

no bought it in canada two years ago. here in canada at the minute and they can get a replacement fuse in a weeks time.

D

desertbootz

I'd hazard a guess that the ceramic has a higher breaking capacity than the glass one as it's getting strapped across the mains. Like for like is good advice.

I usually come across glass types in low fault current applications, eg, protecting electronics. There may be several on a single board and that board may be one of many interdependant circuits so if one goes others might go at the same time. Imagine metering out a racks-worh of in-line fuses. Nasty. Make 'em out of glass and all you need is an eyeball.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Glass v Ceramic Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom