Discuss gloster generator in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Please don't take this the wrong way but are you sure that 'Gloster Generators' isn't Gloucester Generators?

Was about to give you a 'Like' there, but a quick check revealed...

GLOSTER GENERATORS LTD Company Information. Byard Rd, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL2 5DF England :smilielol5:

Please don't take this the wrong way but are you sure that 'Gloster Generators' isn't Gloucester Generators?

Hi
Not taken the wrong way mate... I had to look at it twice!
Done some research today and found they no longer exist. The rectifiers are damaged, found that the mountings for them had just melted away. Havnt had an in depth look yet but unsure what would have caused this. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Gary

Overload, maybe a cooling fan failed or maybe they became loose on their heatsink or the thermal paste dried out.

Photos maight get you more clues if you have any. The regulators should be repairable with generic components.

I don't think overload was the problem, it has been running at 75 percent of flc but having said that it had been running continuous for 24 hrs and it is a pto standby generator. Good point on cooling, hadn't checked the cooling fan. Will return to site and take some pics.

Thanks
gary

'PTO' ?? Power take-off? What is the actual load it's running, if it's highly inductive/AC3 or poor PF you may need to derate.

Just because it say's 'Gloster Generators' it doesn't mean that the alternator is itself made by Gloster. Many of these generator companies just match bought in alternators to various engines, and sell them on as a complete gen-set, complete with all ancillaries and protection control panels etc. So well worth checking when your back on site...

Stand-by set's run for 24 hrs or more on a single run shouldn't be a problem, unless you mean it's being used as a prime power generator, then you will have problems. If that is the case, i'd be looking for a good few more problems that are going to arise. Far better to advise the customer it's time to purchase a generator manufactured for continuous running!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to gloster generator in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net