Discuss glowing old 5 amp rewirable fuse in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ambrad

hi all

family member called to say the down stairs lights are blowing the rewirable wylex fuse.

when i visited i did a visual check and chacked all the connections, every thing was in order. when i turned the the lights on one at a time they blew the fuse only when the kitchen lights are turned on. The fuse didnt just blow it glowed like a bulb before for about 30 seconds before it blew.

What confused me a bit was the fuse blew whan they where in bed when no lights were on.

studying testing and inspecion so need some advice on the best course of action.

look forward to your avice.

If there was nothing evident with a visual check then standard testing of the circuits is required to localise the fault. You'll need to get someone with the appropriate experience and test equipment I'm afraid.

A visual check is not worth anything, if you're asked to give a professional opinion on a circuit or an installation there are inspection and testing procedures which you must follow and before you can give an opinion they have to be followed

How did they know it had blown while in bed with the lights off ?

As you say the fault is visual when you turn the lights on one at a time.

Sounds like you have a short on the cct which needs attention .

IMO I would not replace the fuse until it is tested correctly to find the fault !

i assume you must are pulling the fuse while still loaded, if its glowing its because its overloaded, when it blows if it totally destroys the wire then its a short circuit, if however as i suspect it breaks in the middle and melts back into two small balls then the fuse wire is overloaded, but either way you should get someone in who is more competent and will give a safe solution to the problem.

Just to say the Daily Mail had a safety recall notice re fusewire ie 5A they were recalling Hombase,B&Q,WH ??? and another sorry I cannot give the as we just chucked it out today

Reply to glowing old 5 amp rewirable fuse in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net