Discuss Gobsmacked. Need opinions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

brucey2343

-
Trainee
Reaction score
TITLE SHOULD BE GOBSMACKED... (Sorted that for you re' -'Darkwood')

Hi all, been a while since I posted.

I went to a job today and removed a socket for inspection. All I done was removed the socket screws, the terminations were not altered at all, literally just took the front screws out so I could the wiring.

I get a phone call, ten minutes after I've left the property, from my boss telling me I need to put in a minor works certificate, as I removed the front screws?! I cleared with him that I didn't adjust any terminals, only removed the front screws. Still said we had to fill in the minor works.

Am I right, or has he gone nuts?

Last edited by a moderator:
TITLE SHOULD BE GOBSMACKED...

Hi all, been a while since I posted.

I went to a job today and removed a socket for inspection. All I done was removed the socket screws, the terminations were not altered at all, literally just took the front screws out so I could the wiring.

I get a phone call, ten minutes after I've left the property, from my boss telling me I need to put in a minor works certificate, as I removed the front screws?! I cleared with him that I didn't adjust any terminals, only removed the front screws. Still said we had to fill in the minor works.

Sounds like your "Boss" is a bit of a Jobsworth and has no idea of the regulations regarding certification, is he an Electrician type person, or someone who thinks he is? a sort of boil in the bag one.

He will need some form of paperwork for the client to prove you have been and inspected it.

Was that all the job was? What was the reason to check that socket? Intermittent power, or heating up?

Did you check the tightness of the terminals? If so, was the power off?

Yes, waste of a cert, but do as boss says. Just write “visual inspection only” on it in bold black pen

As above many times, it's most likely it's the customer that wants proof.
Somebody somewhere wants to cover themselves, may an employee has claimed they've had a shock.
Maybe another contractor is claiming the faulty socket has damaged their equipment.

As an employee it doesn't matter if it seems pointless.

However the joke in the whole thing is that the certificate is going to be signed by a trainee, so it's worthless.

...I get a phone call, ten minutes after I've left the property, from my boss telling me I need to put in a minor works certificate, as I removed the front screws?! I cleared with him that I didn't adjust any terminals, only removed the front screws. Still said we had to fill in the minor works.

I think the clue is in the question... "...my boss..." I'd just do as I was asked. If you feel that strongly about it, maybe look for another boss ?

A mate of mine used to work for a large hospital maintenance company... he was scolded once for tightening a loose plate screw ! He thought he was doing a good job... but was told that he had to first log the fault, then a job number would be issued, then he could tighten it !

If your boss is open minded to opinion and it won't get you into trouble, I would put his attention to this thread, my opinion is 'what work done' ? you merely inspected behind a socket, you may no alteration or replacements that may warrant a minor works.

Looking at other replies, it may be the case that the customer has asked for a paper trail here, maybe just ask the boss why a minor works was needed.

The only two rules an employee needs to know
rule 1 - The boss is always right.
rule 2 - If the boss is wrong see rule number 1.

Quite often bosses are not experienced in the field in which they manage, seen it numerous times they are fresh uni grads in some unrelated subject.

Your relationship should be about cooperating and understanding. Often managers are crap at explaining why they want something. Sometimes they are unaware and need educating.

If you approach them with confidence in a cooperative manner you may find they change their minds or they may give you the background that explains their decision.

Many times I've challenged bosses and been thanked for it, it's a tricky one as you don't want them to feel like you are trying to undermine them, rather help them.

I've always found if you go in with a better, cheaper, easier solution then you will become a more valued employee.

If you go in just saying it can't be done, isn't needed or that your manager is wrong then expect push back.

Don't ever challenge a boss in front of others unless invited to do so, that never ends well.

A good boss is interested in making your life as easy as possible, this way you get more done.

A bad boss is about using their position to salve some personal insecurities, these are almost impossible to please so best not to try, keep your head down and nose clean and stay off their radar.

Managing managers is a valuable skill to develope, that doesn't mean playing them rather understanding their needs and trying to fulfil them.

The only two rules an employee needs to know
rule 1 - The boss is always right.
rule 2 - If the boss is wrong see rule number 1.

Quite often bosses are not experienced in the field in which they manage, seen it numerous times they are fresh uni grads in some unrelated subject.

Your relationship should be about cooperating and understanding. Often managers are crap at explaining why they want something. Sometimes they are unaware and need educating.

If you approach them with confidence in a cooperative manner you may find they change their minds or they may give you the background that explains their decision.

Many times I've challenged bosses and been thanked for it, it's a tricky one as you don't want them to feel like you are trying to undermine them, rather help them.

I've always found if you go in with a better, cheaper, easier solution then you will become a more valued employee.

If you go in just saying it can't be done, isn't needed or that your manager is wrong then expect push back.

Don't ever challenge a boss in front of others unless invited to do so, that never ends well.

A good boss is interested in making your life as easy as possible, this way you get more done.

A bad boss is about using their position to salve some personal insecurities, these are almost impossible to please so best not to try, keep your head down and nose clean and stay off their radar.

Managing managers is a valuable skill to develope, that doesn't mean playing them rather understanding their needs and trying to fulfil them.

Reply to Gobsmacked. Need opinions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock