Discuss going domestic installer but need to do some commercial work! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi everyone, basically the above really. ive got my nic assesment in a few weeks time and will be going full scope domestic installer, with a view to completing 17th and 2391 asap (hopefully within 6 months)

thing is ive just gone self employed and cant afford to turn work away spech this complete new shop refit which will earn some big money for me.
i dont wanna get arrested or anything like that and am skilled enough to do the work and inspect and test it, however if like to know where i stand with only been on the domestic installer scheme?

any of you guys/gals got any ideas?

hi everyone, basically the above really. ive got my nic assesment in a few weeks time and will be going full scope domestic installer, with a view to completing 17th and 2391 asap (hopefully within 6 months)

thing is ive just gone self employed and cant afford to turn work away spech this complete new shop refit which will earn some big money for me.
i dont wanna get arrested or anything like that and am skilled enough to do the work and inspect and test it, however if like to know where i stand with only been on the domestic installer scheme?

any of you guys/gals got any ideas?

well chances are its outside of Part P, and outside the scope of your NIC dom installer mebership

So the requirement is competence, but lets be honest, a ring is a ring, Zs is Zs, a CU is a CU, being commercial, undustrial or domestic has nothing to do with it.

just take your NIC hat off, and crack on.

As a side issue, I though since Jan, if you were joining the NIC you had to have your 17th before you joined? I know if you are already a member they want you to have your 17th in place (or at least booked) for your annual assesment

cheers shakey, wonder if ill need to notify building control about it then, might give them a call in a bit.
thought as much really domestic nic is just that so...
your quite right shakes, however there is a loophole init. my nic documentation reads as follows:-
Proposed qualified supervisor qualifications.
for those businesses applying for registration, it is a requirement that the proposed qualified supervisor satisfies the training requirements for registration. the minimum technical qualification required is C&G 2381 level or equivalent - refer to information sheet 4 regarding conditional registration.
Acceptable alternatives for the niceic scheme are:
1. niceic domestic installer scheme qual
2. vrq lvl 2 cert' for domestic electrical installers
3. C&G 2380 (16th ed) cert'
4. NVQ/SVQ lvl 3 in electrical installation work awarded after 1993
5. C&G 2360 part 2 after 1993
6. SCOTVEC national certificate in electricla installation
7. C&G 2400
8. C7G 2330 lvl 3

information sheet 4 - re: conditional registration.
where the proposed qualified supervisor does not hold the required qualification, the business will be registered with condition registration. it is a requirement of conditional registration theat the qualified supervisor obtains the qualification and provides evidence to niceic head office within 12 months of the date of registration.

so it is a bit grey in what it says, spech the header above stating "acceptable alternatives for the niceic schemes are:" which basically means if youve got the quals below you'll be ok. which i have item no.s 2 & 5.
i spoke to niccy about this and you can still join when youve got other quals to back up your electrical experiance and as it states above you have 12 months to get 17th.

im still worried tho! even thos it states clearly i can join and the perosn at niccy said i can join so we'll av to wait n see!! :)

rich

cheers shakey, wonder if ill need to notify building control about it then, might give them a call in a bit.
thought as much really domestic nic is just that so...
your quite right shakes, however there is a loophole init. my nic documentation reads as follows:-
Proposed qualified supervisor qualifications.
for those businesses applying for registration, it is a requirement that the proposed qualified supervisor satisfies the training requirements for registration. the minimum technical qualification required is C&G 2381 level or equivalent - refer to information sheet 4 regarding conditional registration.
Acceptable alternatives for the niceic scheme are:
1. niceic domestic installer scheme qual
2. vrq lvl 2 cert' for domestic electrical installers
3. C&G 2380 (16th ed) cert'
4. NVQ/SVQ lvl 3 in electrical installation work awarded after 1993
5. C&G 2360 part 2 after 1993
6. SCOTVEC national certificate in electricla installation
7. C&G 2400
8. C7G 2330 lvl 3

information sheet 4 - re: conditional registration.
where the proposed qualified supervisor does not hold the required qualification, the business will be registered with condition registration. it is a requirement of conditional registration theat the qualified supervisor obtains the qualification and provides evidence to niceic head office within 12 months of the date of registration.

so it is a bit grey in what it says, spech the header above stating "acceptable alternatives for the niceic schemes are:" which basically means if youve got the quals below you'll be ok. which i have item no.s 2 & 5.
i spoke to niccy about this and you can still join when youve got other quals to back up your electrical experiance and as it states above you have 12 months to get 17th.

im still worried tho! even thos it states clearly i can join and the perosn at niccy said i can join so we'll av to wait n see!! :)

rich

Rich, as long as the shop is on a seperate meter to any domesic dwelling you dont ned to get building control involved

try not to involve them - they will invariably say 'yes' to stop themselves being in the doo doos, because they dont actually know

The spec above is prior to Jan 08. I woyuld be careful on this, i have seen information from NIC that says you MUST have the 17th to join.

I teach 17th, and know how many NIC people I get phoning needing a course straight away.

The area engineer down here is a good mate of mine, he lets them through their RE-asessment as long as they have got a booked 17th edition course. Other engineers may not be so forgiving (and thats for reassessment!)

the NIC are notorious for saying one thing when they mean another

Be careful, and good luck

p.s Why not just get your 17th done? I can get you through in a day, even if you are not eligible for the update!

yeah see what your saying, wont get labc involved its a completely seperate to any domestic dwelling so that should be ok.

on the nic thing, i spoke to them just a few days ago, again making sure i havnt paid 430 big ones only to get knocked back, i would like to get me 17th sorted tho, sooner rather than later, dont like the idea that i can be led to believe everything is ok then the next minute niccy say oh you defo need 2381 n id be like,wtf!!

im gonna give them another phone call 2moro, explaining some of things you've said.

cheers

rich

cheers shakey,
i tried to send you a pvt message just in case you didnt wanna advertise prices etc, but your inbox is full full full!! lol

i must admit so far the nic have led me to believe that everything will be ok, but after what you've said im a little concerned!! lol

i appreciate you been able to get me through the 17th though im not eligible for an update...how is this possible and also how much we looking at to do this, thinking ill take your wise advise and get it anyway!

cheers

rich

Last edited:
yeah see what your saying, wont get labc involved its a completely seperate to any domestic dwelling so that should be ok.

on the nic thing, i spoke to them just a few days ago, again making sure i havnt paid 430 big ones only to get knocked back, i would like to get me 17th sorted tho, sooner rather than later, dont like the idea that i can be led to believe everything is ok then the next minute niccy say oh you defo need 2381 n id be like,wtf!!

im gonna give them another phone call 2moro, explaining some of things you've said.

cheers

rich

cheers shakey,
i tried to send you a pvt message just in case you didnt wanna advertise prices etc, but your inbox is full full full!! lol

i must admit so far the nic have led me to believe that everything will be ok, but after what you've said im a little concerned!! lol

i appreciate you been able to get me through the 17th though im not eligible for an update...how is this possible and also how much we looking at to do this, thinking ill take your wise advise and get it anyway!

cheers

rich

its possible because C&G say you have to the full exam, not the full course. they have guided learning hours, but i consider anyone who is 16th edition qualified does not need to do a 3 day course. So i sit them on the one day update, but you just the full exam at the end instead of the update exam

over half of my 17th edtion students do it like this, and they nearly all get through on the first attempt as well

price is £165 plus vat including the exam fee

i have emptied my 'inbox' as well!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to going domestic installer but need to do some commercial work! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock