Discuss Going ELECSA in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys i know been good few posts but thought would ask got my assessment in 6 weeks with David Goddard, anybody met the fella.?

Gonna read through all the tips and points on all the threads but anything anyone experienced anything recent that could benefit me and my nerves please shout us..

ta all

Hi James

I had my first assessment 3 weeks ago with elecsa, i didn't have David, however the guy that came to me, Dan Yeates was fantastic. I needed to know my stuff, don't get me wrong but he was full of advice, he listened to my reasoning behind stuff and was very understanding of my relative inexperience. The one thing i learned from this forum was to just relax and go with the flow. My inspection was on a consumer unit change, he had me explain why i had chosen to distribute circuits as i did, cable sizes, earthing points, if i needed supplimentary etc and then we repeated various parts of the testing to confirm results on the EIC. The other thing that i learned from the forum was that at the end of the day, these guys want your custom and your money, regardless of which part P provider that you go to. Read through your little red book and your electricians giude to the building regs, alongside the inspect ant test document (GN3) a few times, and you will be fine. Oh, and the third point from the forum, tea and bickies do go a long way. Good luck buddy. Oh, also search the forum for 'failed part P', you won't find many hits......

As greenie has said, As long as you know your stuff its a breeze, Hes not there to catch you out just to judge if you now what your doing.

It is not a closed book exam so if you do not know the answer say so and say where/how you will get the information. Although it is probably better not to do this on the basic questions such as safe isolation procedure. Have your paperwork ready (as per the list they provide) and your test equipment/reference books available. They appear to want to give you every opportuniuty to pass rather than trying to find every reasons to fail you. Make sure your labeling of the assesment installation is correct and you know why you have done the installation in the way you have. The checklist they give you is very good, check through it and make sure you have everything ready. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Think about the questions you want answering, the assessors will try their best to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Guys ! thanks hey just getting my head around the information pack now. will keep you posted.

Im interested to know what they want to see as far as design plans? for any jobs i done. I mean i do calculations but do they want full on drawings etc etc.
As i be honest many of little jobs i do i would go that far as too provide detailed drawings, you just know it in your head (if you get me)
Obviously big jobs rewires the design aspect i might not even do ! i would just liaise with designer and offer input or guidance on regs maybe.. Say eg.
just done a conversion of studio flat. tiny room and bathroom but we included a kitchen. I decided locations of points etc but i did not have drawings for it all.

thanks again

get yourself an A4 folder, partitioned and labelled plastic pockets, organise all the paperwork required into one place, saves hunting around, calibration certs, h&s policy, risk assesments, small job contract sheets, qualification certificates, pli £2million policy, also have a complaints book. Relax, I found them very helpful and if you dont know the answer just say so. I had mine about a month ago and find elecsa helpful and professional, hope this helps, good luck and enjoy :)

Had 2 questions on building regs a couple on earthing .one on working out how much current a shower 8.4kw shower would pull. Had to do Zs ze rcd and ring final tests.
Make sure you have all the stickers on your board cable colours rcd test and periodic test.
Have everything asked for on the check list if you are a sole trader do not worry about the health and safely statement you only need it if you have 5 or more people working for you

Congratulations and welcome to the melting pot.

To the OP, as you can see, if you know your stuff, not too much to concern yourself with. As suggested make sure you have everything to hand for documentation, including digging out your old certificates etc.

Reply to Going ELECSA in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock