Discuss Going it alone after a lifetime of working for the man! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Team!

I am a 46 year old electrician and have always been a subbie.

The day my apprenticeship ended, I became self employed and have worked on industrial or commercial sites all over England, largely through agencies on a monkey see, monkey do basis.

Kind of "There's the cable, there's the tray, the motors are over there - get to it!" vibe. Have had an enjoyable time, made some decent money and met some great people.

However, would really fancy a change of direction and would like to calm down, stay local and get into the domestic game. I'm always turning work down as I do my thing in the week and don't want to fill my weekends with love jobs for locals...

Have asked this question to several sparks I know and have had several different answers so I thought I'd chuck it in here...

In Theory, Mrs Jones, down the road wants a new shower put in. Whole new circuit, etc... The same with Mr Jones who has had an extension done...

How do I certify and sign it off absolutely legally as a one man band?

I have no testing and inspection qualifications but can do it. I am sure I am competent to do the work, no problems there...

(And yes.... I've led a lazy life and am a disgrace to the trade, etc etc)

In Theory, Mrs Jones, down the road wants a new shower put in. Whole new circuit, etc... The same with Mr Jones who has had an extension done...

I have no testing and inspection qualifications but can do it. I am sure I am competent to do the work, no problems there... quote

first of all you need to be with a scam part p ,second test to see if correct and third insurance for the above .next .

Hi Team!

The day my apprenticeship ended, I became self employed and have worked on industrial or commercial sites all over England, largely through agencies on a monkey see, monkey do basis.

Kind of "There's the cable, there's the tray, the motors are over there - get to it!" vibe. Have had an enjoyable time, made some decent money and met some great people.

However, would really fancy a change of direction and would like to calm down, stay local and get into the domestic game. I'm always turning work down as I do my thing in the week and don't want to fill my weekends with love jobs for locals...

Have asked this question to several sparks I know and have had several different answers so I thought I'd chuck it in here...

I have no testing and inspection qualifications but can do it. I am sure I am competent to do the work, no problems there...

I'm on a similar position and feel being fully qualified, like yourself a time served been in the industry 30 years almost, 18th edition, testing and inspection and being 'competant' should be enough to satisfy eawr and the law. We can legally (from what I have been reading) issue a testing and inspection certificate to the tennant/client to prove we have satisfactory completed the work to current standard. Problem is when its notifiable work. Thats where I'm struggling to understand the cost implications.... understand there are cowboys out there and supposedly these competency assurance companies should be weeding them out, but they still seem to be carrying on and just now we are all charged for the privelage to use these company letters after our names. Even in the industry I've been in for several years now (offshore oil/gas) there are 'non profit' regulating companies making profit? To ensure we are working safely....
I've carried out assessments on electrical technicians, designed installations, installed and tested what I and others have installed so feel reluctant to pay so I can say I'm registered and competent... the same as Joe Bloggs who has just completed his 6 week sparky course last week.....

Thats where I'm struggling to understand the cost implications....
Bottom line is around £500/year scheme fees, plus having at least £2M public liability insurance cover for your work (several £100s more per year), and having up-to-date copies of the regs and related books like OSG (say few £100s more occasionally). See "scheme requirements" here for rest of the info:

If doing professional work the insurance is needed anyway, so really it is down whether the scheme fees are worth it you you in terms of how much certifiable work you would otherwise have to turn down. Given a rewire job is going to be around 10x more than the fees, and you would hope to make at least 10% profit on such a job, it makes sense if you fancy doing domestic work and/or have many exisiting contacts in that area.

If you do mostly minor repairs in semi-retirement, probably not.

Same if you do mostly commercial/industrial work (so Part P is not applicable) you might decide its not worth paying the fees and jumping the hoops. However, you might find that a few clients still demand membership of a CPS for any tendering (totally aside from Part P regulations).

Others on this forum will have much MUCH more to say!

If you do mostly minor repairs in semi-retirement, probably not.

Same if you do mostly commercial/industrial work (so Part P is not applicable) you might decide its not worth paying the fees and jumping the hoops. However, you might find that a few clients still demand membership of a CPS for any tendering (totally aside from Part P regulations).
That's prob where I sit to be honest, I still work offshore so this is a self employed sideline while I'm still employed..... (taxed to the hilt) just really to see how it goes during my 3 weeks leave every time home. Still doing everything by the book, public liability insurance etc but maybe not the full rewire jobs? Can you carry out the landlords checks without being a member of these CPS companies as I have a few friends with rentals so intention was to include these.... as long as the landlord is demonstrating his intention to keep the tenant safe by getting the properties tested by competant and qualified to c&g 18th and testing and inspection, I presumed this would satisfy eawr's?

Hi Team!

Apologies mate, I didn't realise I've almost highjacked your post. Hopefully some of my questioning answers some of yours anyway 🤞

Can you carry out the landlords checks without being a member of these CPS companies as I have a few friends with rentals so intention was to include these.... as long as the landlord is demonstrating his intention to keep the tenant safe by getting the properties tested by competant and qualified to c&g 18th and testing and inspection, I presumed this would satisfy eawr's?
Yes, so long as you are competent and able to do so (electrically speaking). For example your T&I qual, calibrated test gear, reasonable experience on the job, etc. The free Best Practice Guide #4 is helpful in coding any issues you find and allows clients to see the rational (even in many aspects are not obvious to a non-electrician).

Some large landlord agencies insist on CPS membership just as part of due-diligence in approving contractors, but that is not a legal requirement to do the work.

Where you would have issues is any remedial work that necessitates a CU change or rewire as that is covered by Part P, but many of the usual remedial aspects are not covered by Part P (changing a broken socket, fitting missing blanking plate, fixing open RFC, replacing failed RCD, etc).

Some landlords might actually like an inspector who has no personal interest in expensive remedial work!

Reply to Going it alone after a lifetime of working for the man! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock