Discuss Going it alone....pricing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Decided to go it alone for the first time and have issues on what to charge as I don't want to seem too expensive.
Based in Windsor but will cover most of London as there is quite a bit of work up there (if I'm good at pricing it)

Generally I want to know what I should be charging as a day rate, half day rate, hourly rate. Also how much for 2 men for the same (can use an 'Electrical Improver' if needed, basically he's at college learning but is pretty confident when over seen)

Also how much for EICR, as I've had a couple of estate agents enquire about costs. (Per circuit and minimum etc.)

Any advice?

Thanks

Have a look on here. Lots of examples of people asking about EICR pricing on day, hour or per circuit rate. There is a huge amount of pricing info on here.
One thing to remember is how much you earn! Remember you have you to pay your insurance, scheme membership, tools, transport, sick pay, holiday pay consumables (from sleeving, screws, saw blades to paper and ink for quotes), accountant to consider let alone tax and potentially if your turnover is high enough or if you mainly do commercial VAT!!! Plus lots of other things that I have not mentioned......

You and only you can work out what to charge, get out there and give what you think is a reasonable price, if you get the job, ask the customer what their other quotes were.
you can decide from there, wether to increase your prices,
It's trial and error, you will get a wrong, but you will learn. Just try n make sure the ones you get wrong aren't too far out.
if you are really stuck price it on a daily rate, then at the end of the job you will have a better idea for when a similar job comes along
good luck

there were some crazy prices quoted on the forum, good for guys 30 years in the trade, less good for a new starter in busy London town :(

Decided to go it alone for the first time and have issues on what to charge as I don't want to seem too expensive.
Based in Windsor but will cover most of London as there is quite a bit of work up there (if I'm good at pricing it)

Generally I want to know what I should be charging as a day rate, half day rate, hourly rate. Also how much for 2 men for the same (can use an 'Electrical Improver' if needed, basically he's at college learning but is pretty confident when over seen)

Also how much for EICR, as I've had a couple of estate agents enquire about costs. (Per circuit and minimum etc.)

Any advice?

Thanks

How much do you think you need to charge to cover all your overheads, pay your NI and tax and live off?

And as for having a 2nd pair of hands that may land you in VAT terrritory quite quickly so that's an extra 20% plus the admin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough one this as we all have our fair share of winning and losing jobs, when I started on my own I seemed to win every job that I priced so it did not take me long to increase my prices.

Trial and error i'm affraid.

How long is a piece of string, personally not a lot of point being under £250 a day/ £30 an hour. But then it depends on how much work you get done in that day/hour.

But then I`ve been running for years so I have a reputation, if your starting from scratch you dont.

Simplest way-
(Fixed overheads+a guess at variables)/48 (you have to have some time off but that can vary obviously) = x weekly
Weekly/5 or 6 or 7 depending on how you want to/how much work you can get= x daily
Daily X + Materials + how much per day you and your family need to live on= what you need to pull in per day.

Simplest way-
(Fixed overheads+a guess at variables)/48 (you have to have some time off but that can vary obviously) = x weekly
Weekly/5 or 6 or 7 depending on how you want to/how much work you can get= x daily
Daily X + Materials + how much per day you and your family need to live on= what you need to pull in per day.

Don't forget to allow for NI and tax! lol

There are many different ways people work out their charges.
Some decide the minimum they want for a days work, then add to that amount, their daily overheads and expenses etc.
Then look at the best case scenario where they would be working 5 days a week, and the worst case scenario where they would only work one day a week, and try to reach a figure somewhere in between that seems reasonable.
Others will decide on a day rate which will cover a week's or a month's overheads and expenses, then any extra days worked in a week will be wages.
Obviously parts, materials and consumables will have to be added on top.
So keeping up with prices for cable is quite important, no good quoting £45 for a drum of T&E only to find it's gone up to £55 a drum.
The difficulty is in determining how long a job will take.
Better to overestimate and finish early, than to underestimate and attempt to get more money out of the client.

Reply to Going it alone....pricing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net