Discuss Going Ltd from Sole Trader in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello peeps. Im about to take the next step in the world of bein a self employed sparks! But to be completely honest I am still unsure on the work i can and can't LEGALLY do.

I've been self-employed for a year and had a pretty good year. With the cash earnt I invested into a new van, and a couple of courses and a set of multi-functional testers.

So the exact quals I have under my belt are:-

Full level 2 and level 3 2330

NVQ level 2 and level 3

AM2

17th Edition

My accountant advised me to go Ltd due to the amount I was earning so this is what I have done. I have some of my own work coming in and I still sub labour to a couple of firms. I generaly stick to industrial and commercial which is fine, but I am unsure exactly what I can do when it comes to domestic (although I do try to steer well clear but sometimes its hard to say no!).

I am not registered to an electrical organisation as of yet and have no Part P. So this is where I get confused! I have everything I know I need when it comes to tools, equipment, qualifications, experience (although never enough!), and know how. It's just the not being registered and not having Part P which worries me a little. It makes me feel silly to have a Ltd company but not be able to undertake certain simple domestic works!!

Could someone please advise me of what I need to do (if anything) and the best way to go about it....

Thanks ever so much to anyone that sets this straight for me!

Cheers

Considering your qualifications its an insult to you and nothing more than a money spinner for others. Best route is to register with a competent person scheme for domestic and then you can leave out building control.

Chris

Register, you've the qualifications & the experience. You also have a years work behind you so you must have a couple of jobs to show.
It's about £370+vat plus a half a day of your time.

Who do you advise I register with? I know NIC is the obvious choice but the more I speak to people over recent times is the more I hear people suggest differently....

Plus the main big jobs I have done have been through another firm, all the work designed and completed by me but just not direct to the customer. Is this a problem?

Cheers

Agreed. It's ridiculous to have to have somebody who is most likely less qualified than yourself to come out once a year to see if you're competent. That said, if you don't do it, you'll end up chucking money down the drain on building control permission. Register with a scheme (to be honest if you're getting most of your work commercial and just want to be 'allowed' to work in houses, i.e. you're not going to be relying on a big scheme name to get you work, you may as well go with napit and save yourself a hundred and fifty quid). Mind you, don't get complacent. If you do mainly commercial and industrial, make sure you are well read on your regs for the domestic side, especially for your assessment. Your best bet is to get in touch with the schemes and see which is better for you. You will have to inform building control and pay their fee (between 1 and 200 depending on where you're from) for any jobs that you have to show the assessor, but after that you just pay your yearly fee and you're free to do what you want domestic-wise.

Without the part p scheme, you're going to be paying that 1-200 to building control on any notifiable job you do.

I think you need to get registered to someone , who signs your work off at the moment.

I am limited , and as far as paper work goes it gets a bit more involved, What you need to remember when you go limited is that the money you earn is not yours it is the company,s and when you draw money from the company, for example if you get a tax rebate then you cant just spend the money as its the companies, and if you want it you will need to pay tax on it.

Saying that tho u will pay far less tax on your money than those who are just self imployed.

Also if you are earning alot of cash have you gone VAT registered.

People are scared of being vat registered but it will be a huge benifit .

as u claim back vat on every thing (eg everytime you fill the van with petrol u will get bach about £12 that you normally would just kiss goodbye to)

The big companies wont worry if you add vat to your bill

Loads more paper work but loads more cash,, you decide

As the above posts say its a tuff call who to register with and that boils down to who is best for you. As for VAT not so sure on that one if you go VAT registered then you become 17.5% possibly 20% dearer to the domestic customer. The very people you want to take on as extra perhaps the best route if you are already earning a lot is go VAT registered and forget domestic.

That way you get all the work you have now, claim all the VAT back and dont invest in something that may not be as good or wait until after the election see what happens to the VAT rate and then decide from there.

Chris

Reply to Going Ltd from Sole Trader in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock