Discuss Going Self-Employed on sites. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm currently working with an agency but just as PAYE. I'm waiting on my UTR number to register for CIS. Just have a few queries to clear up.
I've been told by the lads on-site that I'm not employed by the agency but by the payroll company I use, so would I need to tell the payroll company or the agency I'm going CIS? Or both?
It's my understanding that the payroll will deal with your tax deductions and all I need to do is pay my national insurance?
Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Who pays the Employers NI, you or the payroll company?
To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being employed by a payroll company.
Anyway, to answer your question, you would have to speak to your agency, and they will then tell the payroll company, that is, if the agency will allow you to go CIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your NI contributions are deducted via your tax for self employed. Have you an accountant?

Whomever is paying you via the CIS scheme, is responsible for deducting tax at source.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being employed by a payroll company.
I presume he's referring to an umbrella company. If so, it is very common to be an employee of the umbrella company and not the agency for agency work. Needless to say there are tax reasons for this (not all of which the HMRC might consider compliant or lawful).

Reply to Going Self-Employed on sites. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all Quick question - I'm going self employed as an Electrician's mate as from the start of November. For this purpose, I'm looking to get rid...
Replies
Views
Completed my AM2s start of this year. My whole career plan is to run my own company/sole trader. Be my own boss basically. I always get asked...
Replies
Views
I am currently going self employed. I was never put through any 18th edition courses, so have booked myself onto my 18th wiring regs. I want...
Replies
Views
Looking for a bit of advice from the wider audience / those who may have done similar before. I entered the game a bit later / in a non...
Replies
Views
Hi there, firstly wishing you all good health and happiness 🙂 Just a few questions if you all don’t mind answering for me please.. I’ve just...
Replies
Views
OLDBOY
O

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock