Discuss Going to Level 3 course skipping Level 2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone done 2365 Level 3 without doing Level 2 first?

I'm thinking of going to level 3 straight away. The reason why is that I have some experience being doing PAT Testing for nearly 10 years and providing domestic electrical work mainly minor ones and qualifications I achieved such as
17th & 18th Edition
Inspection & Testing 2391-52
Part P 2393-10
PAT Testing 2377
Domestic Electrical Installer course completed
I'm currently doing pat testing and domestic electrical work.

As I understand handful of units and topics in level 2 and what I've learned so far are overlapping. Few training centres provide this option they say I can go directly to level 3 in my situation where I need to pass an exam/assessment first.

I just want to know what's your thoughts on this. Will I miss a lot on level 2 in my situation? Is level 3 diploma on its own equally valid as having Level 2&3 Diplomas together from employer perspective?

I'm not looking for a shortcut scenario here and might consider taking both levels if that is the optimal way but time and money is another consideration at this moment in time. Just looking for most practical and reasonable solution.

Any advice is welcomed

One of the brighter 1st years jumped to the second year when I did the course, didn't see any jumps 2nd to 3rd year though. Hope you're good at electrical science though, bloody formulas!

I don't think missing the 2nd year would be any hindrance to you with your current experience being what it is, if anything I'm surprised you aren't skipping onto the AM2

I don't think missing the 2nd year would be any hindrance to you with your current experience being what it is, if anything I'm surprised you aren't skipping onto the AM2
I thought the AM2 was the final part of the 2357 (Level 3 NVQ), i.e. the OP couldn't take the AM2 as a stand-alone qualification. Happy to stand corrected if that's not the case.

I remember someone saying that they weren't able to get "Approved Electrician" status from the JIB on their ECS card because they had skipped that level 2 and gone straight to level 3.

Something to bear in mind.

I remember someone saying that they weren't able to get "Approved Electrician" status from the JIB on their ECS card because they had skipped that level 2 and gone straight to level 3.

Something to bear in mind.
This is exactly what I'd like to figure out. Probably have to contact to JIB to confirm this. Thanks ZDB

Hi, Just was wondering if you could find out about this? did you manage to get answer from JIB? what about skipping LVL 2?
It would be dependent on thier (JIB) and/or City & Guilds/EAL stance on RPL. JOB are likely to be fine as they would just treat as a Mature Candidate Assessment where quals are out of date or missing qualifications.

It would be dependent on thier (JIB) and/or City & Guilds/EAL stance on RPL. JOB are likely to be fine as they would just treat as a Mature Candidate Assessment where quals are out of date or missing qualifications.
Well this seems the best reply I have heard just can you elaborate little more? EAL ? And is there any other procedures for mature students (Mature Candidate Assessment) ? how can I go about it? thanks in advance.

Well this seems the best reply I have heard just can you elaborate little more? EAL ? And is there any other procedures for mature students (Mature Candidate Assessment) ? how can I go about it? thanks in advance.
EAL is the other exam board that tends to do electrotechnical courses.

I would advise speaking with JIB and NET directly to get the best advice. They're on Twitter (and other platforms) and quite responsive.

Hi guys,
If you are an experienced worker but do not currently have a completed apprenticeship or NVQ 3, I believe the Mature Candidate Assessment scheme is either coming to an end or has already finished and being replaced with Experienced Worker Assessment. The best information I can find is here:
I have also found a document that says if you are eligible to complete 2365 level 3 without a level 2 then one must complete a skill scan with an approved centre and complete any units where there may be gaps in knowledge.
In colleges where I have worked prior to semi retirement this always led to issues, for example working from memory, if you haven't completed level 2 then you must complete the level 2 Health and Safety unit at level 3 which carries an assignment and an on line exam etc. Then one discovers gaps in the science unit requirement and the whole thing becomes very messy. Please look at the Experience Worker Assessment link and see if that is a better route for adult learners, especially as it leads to a gold card
Best Regards
John

EAL is the other exam board that tends to do electrotechnical courses.

I would advise speaking with JIB and NET directly to get the best advice. They're on Twitter (and other platforms) and quite responsive.
Hi there, thanks, I just read about NET and EAL, learning as I read more. Didnt know about them. Sent an email to JIB and EAL. Just like other trades it is all over the place, meanwhile though doing Edition 18 and Part P online.

Hi guys,
If you are an experienced worker but do not currently have a completed apprenticeship or NVQ 3, I believe the Mature Candidate Assessment scheme is either coming to an end or has already finished and being replaced with Experienced Worker Assessment. The best information I can find is here:
I have also found a document that says if you are eligible to complete 2365 level 3 without a level 2 then one must complete a skill scan with an approved centre and complete any units where there may be gaps in knowledge.
In colleges where I have worked prior to semi retirement this always led to issues, for example working from memory, if you haven't completed level 2 then you must complete the level 2 Health and Safety unit at level 3 which carries an assignment and an on line exam etc. Then one discovers gaps in the science unit requirement and the whole thing becomes very messy. Please look at the Experience Worker Assessment link and see if that is a better route for adult learners, especially as it leads to a gold card
Best Regards
John
Hi there
Thank you for all the info , very interesting again. This could be the rout that would suit me more !
I did have a look intO Experienced Worker Assessment, Now I have to find out if my training (or part of my training) in a similar industry would give the credit to proceed with this route, if it works I will be very happy. Cheers for the info.

Reply to Going to Level 3 course skipping Level 2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net