Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Really don't understand how some people think the "stay at home save lives" does not apply to them we have a local magistrate who goes out to collect beer and buy fish and chips from a local pub, I can't think he really is that thick.

Really don't understand how some people think the "stay at home save lives" does not apply to them we have a local magistrate who goes out to collect beer and buy fish and chips from a local pub, I can't think he really is that thick.
The Government need just say that type of venue should close but then they'd have to give them furlough and support and stuff.

Some businesses don't hit any threshold to get help (like mine even!). So I can see why some stay open and even deliver leaflets around my way saying they're open (asking for trouble!!??).

But Good Morning people. :)

My and @Lou get out most days by way of helping local authority to delivery prescriptions, walked a dog for a family who all had covid (and we had antibodies after having it - first version mind, don't think that'd work now) and couldn't walk the dog and it didn't go loo on their concrete garden it needed grass bless it. Posh-mutt-problems :D :D

But the NHS Responder app we have, and we have two phones with it on, we drive to the middle of a few chemists and wait about 10 minutes and it'll ping up. One needs some prescription taking to somebody quickly as they ran out and their own delivery services don't work so quick. So we go pick it up, take it to the 'customer' and then keep them on file and ring them every now and again see if they need shopping or whatever.

We now must have about 30 regulars, some we need the big car to do their shopping for, some just want some eggs from a specific farm shop or something to make them feel like it's a bit more normal.

My mother is super vulnerable and I've just been diagnosed with COPD, literally a couple of months ago, so during lockdown. Already had COVID-19 (original variant) so was fairly protected and couldn't be an asymptomatic host for a couple of months but now this new variant I probably could catch, or be a host and not know it, so it's scary again now.

The hand sanitiser is literally burning my skin off the tips of my fingers now I've used it so much. The amount of clothes I'm washing considering I'm not going the pub or meetings for work and don't have a baby throwing up on me is mental, as I daren't roll around with the dogs who want to jump on me as I come in before a good wash and take all the top layers off (learnt to layer up rather than keep getting naked).

It's gonna be like this for ages I think. But that bloke getting some normality from his fish and chips I can see as long as he's being clean etc but it's not quite essential travel or essential shopping so it's not really within guidelines and laws. But then the supplier would argue he's allowed to be open, which he is. He should perhaps deliver though. But that's a whole other argument eh.

The Government need just say that type of venue should close but then they'd have to give them furlough and support and stuff.

Some businesses don't hit any threshold to get help (like mine even!). So I can see why some stay open and even deliver leaflets around my way saying they're open (asking for trouble!!??).

But Good Morning people. :)

My and @Lou get out most days by way of helping local authority to delivery prescriptions, walked a dog for a family who all had covid (and we had antibodies after having it - first version mind, don't think that'd work now) and couldn't walk the dog and it didn't go loo on their concrete garden it needed grass bless it. Posh-mutt-problems :D :D

But the NHS Responder app we have, and we have two phones with it on, we drive to the middle of a few chemists and wait about 10 minutes and it'll ping up. One needs some prescription taking to somebody quickly as they ran out and their own delivery services don't work so quick. So we go pick it up, take it to the 'customer' and then keep them on file and ring them every now and again see if they need shopping or whatever.

We now must have about 30 regulars, some we need the big car to do their shopping for, some just want some eggs from a specific farm shop or something to make them feel like it's a bit more normal.

My mother is super vulnerable and I've just been diagnosed with COPD, literally a couple of months ago, so during lockdown. Already had COVID-19 (original variant) so was fairly protected and couldn't be an asymptomatic host for a couple of months but now this new variant I probably could catch, or be a host and not know it, so it's scary again now.

The hand sanitiser is literally burning my skin off the tips of my fingers now I've used it so much. The amount of clothes I'm washing considering I'm not going the pub or meetings for work and don't have a baby throwing up on me is mental, as I daren't roll around with the dogs who want to jump on me as I come in before a good wash and take all the top layers off (learnt to layer up rather than keep getting naked).

It's gonna be like this for ages I think. But that bloke getting some normality from his fish and chips I can see as long as he's being clean etc but it's not quite essential travel or essential shopping so it's not really within guidelines and laws. But then the supplier would argue he's allowed to be open, which he is. He should perhaps deliver though. But that's a whole other argument eh.
@Dan I’m impressed that you and @Lou help deliver food, pick up Medicine for other folks. Y’all are kind people. The COVID-19 shot is not going well over here and it will probably be September or later before my wife and myself get our shots so every job I go on I feel like I’m dodging a bullet especially since I’ve had 16 heart attacks. Everyone please try and stay during these dangerous times. I’m also going to video and figure out how to post some of my work and I run into a lot of things that are very dangerous and down right ugly. Home owners shouldn’t be doing their own electrical work. Y’all stay safe and keep up the great work helping people out.

Today started badly - looked out of the hotel window to see snow. Didn't turn out as bad as I expected. Got to site 10 mins late to find out the engineer I was supposed to see was snowed in at home. Not to worry, got set to work by one of the other guys. Quite a simple job, change the PSU on an online transformer gas analyser. Whoever designed the unit didn't have maintenance in mind. Remove unit from transformer, take to workshop and totally strip it. New PSU is slightly different but in it goes. Tested it out and it's now ready to connect back to the transformer tomorrow morning. I've just looked at the forecast and the weather looks good. Looks like it could be a happy day tomorrow.
On a side note, I've just bled the towel rail in the bathroom. Should I charge the hotel ? ?

Today started badly - looked out of the hotel window to see snow. Didn't turn out as bad as I expected. Got to site 10 mins late to find out the engineer I was supposed to see was snowed in at home. Not to worry, got set to work by one of the other guys. Quite a simple job, change the PSU on an online transformer gas analyser. Whoever designed the unit didn't have maintenance in mind. Remove unit from transformer, take to workshop and totally strip it. New PSU is slightly different but in it goes. Tested it out and it's now ready to connect back to the transformer tomorrow morning. I've just looked at the forecast and the weather looks good. Looks like it could be a happy day tomorrow.
On a side note, I've just bled the towel rail in the bathroom. Should I charge the hotel ? ?
Charge 'em a brew at least lol

Good morning everybody. :)

Hope all is well.

Homeschooling Daughter today. Trying to get her into YouTube videos, haven't found a niche yet. She's getting good though. Have a blog for her too, that's an advantage she has over those on YT. She can blog about it and push people to her blog to read instructions on how she did something or other. Wont reveal her name or blog etc though. If you ever remember them blokes knocking on my door the month I had her years ago. One in a Bentley, one of those scammer training centres we were knocking on here and we ended up needing to remove their thread. Bar-stewards. I want to protect her from that. We use a fake name for her online and always will. Like a stage name.

I'm hoping she's the one who makes millions and buys me a heated swimming pool with a small house on it lol

Thanks @Megawatt that means a lot. Some days we don't get many calls but then others we are rushed off our feet.

Our vaccines seem to be going well, I am hoping my mother in law gets hers in the next couple of weeks.

Finally got around to changing the blown caps on the psu of my recently aquired 'scope. I was going to change all the caps but after unsoldering some and checking them they were closer to thier marked values than the new ones. Anyway, psu went back in and it all powered up. Just got to find a use for it now ?

Finally got around to changing the blown caps on the psu of my recently aquired 'scope. I was going to change all the caps but after unsoldering some and checking them they were closer to thier marked values than the new ones. Anyway, psu went back in and it all powered up. Just got to find a use for it now ?

A tip - don't just measure the capacitance value. An old electrolytic cap may well read the correct value, but have a low ESR (effective series resistance). This is worse than the actual capacitance value being wrong.

The esr and capacitance on the ones I checked was fine assuming the meter I have is accurate. The only one I ended up changing was the X2 cap that had 'let out its smoke'. Not bad for a 'scope from 2004 ?

The esr and capacitance on the ones I checked was fine assuming the meter I have is accurate. The only one I ended up changing was the X2 cap that had 'let out its smoke'. Not bad for a 'scope from 2004 ?

Nice one. Sorry for trying to teach you to suck eggs there!

No problem. I've just got to find a use for it now. I used to be really into electronics many years ago and always wanted one. Now I just don't have the time to dabble as I used to.

No problem. I've just got to find a use for it now. I used to be really into electronics many years ago and always wanted one. Now I just don't have the time to dabble as I used to.

It was always my hobby when I was younger. I've started getting back into it a little bit again now the kids are grown up and I've got more time on my hands.

I'm still stuck with the kids. Daughter (and her boyfriend) and son still here. Daughter is 21 and trying to get a house but the way prices are it's tough. The son is only 15 so he'll be here for a while. I really need to build a 'man cave' at the bottom of the garden.

Today hasn't started too well. Walked to the bathroom in the dark and felt something squidge under my foot. One of the cats had been sick. Just come back from the dentist after having a tooth pulled out and my mouth is just starting to come around. Today is going to be a bad day ?

Sorry about your troubles @Moley and hope you feel better soon.

I had a brilliant morning. A pal said to call and collect something from him...
It's a beauty!
1612794942937.png

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net