Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Still it's given me time to complete the extract fan, Humidistat and shower lights, all working, now to get back into the craw space and make the temporary wiring permanent.

Today I’m going to attempt some outside decorations… although it’s a bit wet and cold just now.
Through last week, we managed to get the trees up… but none of the other things.

8B54F9B4-654C-4C24-BDAC-2AF4286BAC7F.jpeg

The dog looks so proud

3C7951BF-FCBF-48F4-B038-94DD904DE591.jpeg

The old tree. As old as our marriage.

0FA1F2D0-CD60-4430-942D-5B4DAFD5D081.jpeg

And it wouldn’t be my tree without this little guy.

This morning first job. A little route making to add some sockets to an upstairs room. Gate onto drive was shut, so I just carried my tools, a drum of 2.5 and fishing rods… rather than open gate, drive in, close gate, repeat….
Quick enough job… so finished off, packed up and walked back to the van….
Although the temperature up here was hitting double figures, the ground is still icy, and it was raining.
I slipped, dropped the tool box and landed on my arse.

You wouldn’t think I am a fairly proficient ice skater.

Second job. Under sink water heater not working. This is in a granny flat adjoining a family home, where the elderly father had died last year sometime, and the mum is bedridden.
Found the problem and reset the thermal cutout.
Obviously this has happened before, as the old boy had helpfully cut a hole in the heaters cover, so he could reset it himself.
The ingenuity of an OAP!

54E22558-38CB-46B8-8904-EE77DA5475DB.jpeg

And, yes, that’s the other cover screw sellotaped to it.

30 odd quid for a new cover, or patch it over with some flat plastic??

Well, today was my IPAF renewal. Looks like I'm good for another 5 years of cherry picker driving. At my age that was probably my last one. It always amuses me when I look at the question about how close can you get to live cables. I think it was 15m with the boom extended. Then you tell the instructor the National Grid safety distance at 400kV - 3.1m 🤣

The company I use, when it comes to distances from poles I always end up arguing with the instructor because his test sheets seem to be based on us electrical poles and voltages!!

First of all, merry Christmas to everyone. Hope you all have a good one.

Good luck to @Megawatt and others over the pond… weather looks a bit nippy out.

And further to a website competition win recently… See my collection thread for details… I got another surprise from my local YESSS.

When the World Cup started, they had an open day with some reps.. I popped in for a chat, got a free pie and a free entry into the branch sweepstake.
Not really a football fan, but I pulled a name out the hat…

Fast forward to the beginning of last week and I’m going round the wholesalers with a little box of chocs for each of them. Got to YESSS, handed over the Roses, and he says “swaps!” And handed me an Amazon Alexa Dot

I forgot I pulled out Argentina.

First of all, merry Christmas to everyone. Hope you all have a good one.

Good luck to @Megawatt and others over the pond… weather looks a bit nippy out.

And further to a website competition win recently… See my collection thread for details… I got another surprise from my local YESSS.

When the World Cup started, they had an open day with some reps.. I popped in for a chat, got a free pie and a free entry into the branch sweepstake.
Not really a football fan, but I pulled a name out the hat…

Fast forward to the beginning of last week and I’m going round the wholesalers with a little box of chocs for each of them. Got to YESSS, handed over the Roses, and he says “swaps!” And handed me an Amazon Alexa Dot

I forgot I pulled out Argentina.
We’ll congratulations my friend and yes it is 10 degrees right now and wind chill is 5 degrees but it actually is going to be 60 degrees Wednesday. To all my friends across the pond y’all have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. I’m ready for this year to be over.

Blood donors again today.

Took a venue a little bit away so that the uni child could come again. Felt faint last time she went back in June, so wanted to go with me before she went away back to aberdeen.

I flew through again. 7 minutes between needle in and needle out. She felt faint again... so lay for a good 20 minutes after with her feet raised.

Heading out... we help ourselves to the usual fair, and she finds a vegan Kitkat.... Not thats she is vegan... but her boyfriend is... strange boy.

Reading the packet, it says "may contain milk"

Vegan?

This mornings job was to replace this old thing.
Someone spent a lot of time dressing those cables…. Just ignore the later addition taken off the live side of the mainswitch.

Fitted a new click scolmore elucian as a trial. Price was mere pennies more than Fusebox.
Forgot to take another photo, but I can assure you I left it in much the same condition re tidiness of cables…. Honest

453E7226-3FAF-4A0C-AF67-809CE3751DBE.jpeg

Woop woop, I’m off on a jolly!

Heading over to the sprawling Glas Vegas for the annual Scottish Caravan and Motorhome show at the SEC.
No kids. No dog. No work.

And unfortunately, no hotel breakfast.
“You don’t normally have breakfast!” Says the wife

Except when I’m in a hotel…. Then I have ALL the breakfast

Got up this morning and I couldn’t believe that “how do you route cables within a CU” thread is still up.
Should have put a small wager on it being binned by now.

You be careful. You know what those big city types are like. Before you know it you'll have the wife and kids signed up for the white slave trade and you'll be driving around in a new Hymer.

Came back on friday night, and wow.... i hate saying bad things about some peoples home towns, but that was awful....

Getting there, following the sat nav to SEC, jumping lanes all over the place... Got behind some builders pick up... He took the corner a bit fast and lost half a bucket of 'stuff' over the side.
I ran over a few bits of cardboard packaging, but managed to miss the bouncing claw hammer!

We had booked a 'budget' hotel for the night... and.. we got what we paid for... No bathroom. There was a toilet cubical in the room, a wash hand basin in the room, and a shower cubical.. yes, in the room!
I should have got my tape measure out and measured to the nearest light switches.

We took a walk on thursday night to find a restaurant in the area of the hotel... There was a nandos, a chippy, BK... but we settled for a regular place that did a selection of menu.
Got seated, then realised they didn't sell alcohol!
After dinner, we took another walk along the pothole laden streets to the nearest tesco express for a carry out.

The show itself was OK. Met up with some colleagues from the caravan site days.

And we might be upgrading our tourer van.... Goodbye "Trailer Swift"... Hello "Trailer Bailey".... no.. that doesnt work

it was an ibis budget.... back to premier inn next time!

not even a kettle and coffee in the room. There was a machine in the lobby

I've stayed in some cheap hotels around the world, and plenty with no food/drink facilities beyond vending machines, but even the cheapest had all bathroom conveniences in a separate bathroom. That Glasgow Ibis is getting close to antiquated B&B territory :D

I remember a German chain (name escapes me now) with one piece moulded bathroom - literally shower toilet and wash basin were all one piece, which must have been very convenient for the cleaners.

Had the owner of the local chippy at my door last night about 5... Any chance you could come have a quick look? Half the kitchen isnt working... etc etc Had phoned supplier earlier, they told her to get an electrician in to check things.

Standard of the chippy installation i would say was on par with any pub. A vast arrangement of additions, boards with fuses, boards with breakers, one little box with an rcd for the drinks fridge... and i wish id taken a photo.

3 phase supply with 3 fuses. Handy 4 pole service isolator, so dropped off the load side.... got 230v at L1, 230v at L2 and nothing at L3... So loss of phase.... thought the fuse had popped as it may have only been a 60 or 80A according to the fuse casing. (although L2 had 100A on the casing??)
I didnt test any further upstream... not cutting seals etc.

She phoned up supplier again, and told them what i had said... OK, someone will be out within 3 hours.

I popped in this morning to check up, and she said they did turn up at about half 6, 7.... did a load of tests, and told her the problem was with local substation. Not the fuse. It got fixed, and power was back on. But not enough time to open up again, so she's lost a nights takings.

Strange that only one phase of her supply was affected, and no one else on the street. She's in the middle of the village with houses all around... i'd have thought every third house would have been out.

Anyway... £40 cash in pocket, which of course will be declared to the taxman

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net