Discuss Good pipe and cable wall tracer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Went through my first pipe in 15 years today, my worst nightmare when i saw water dribble out the wall i died inside. oddly enough it turned out to be a dribble from dead leg.

i have always relied on zones but today i went into what was a dead central heating pipe, (according to the emergency plumber).

anyone recommend a good detector?

I'd also like to know if there's a decent detector available. It's only a matter of time before this happens to me, I've come horribly close to it several times recently. Zones don't seem to apply to plumbing

Regs for PVC pips in walls need a metalic strip installed apparently, so latest you could argue the regs and wiggle your way off the hook should you hit it

Did not know that, however from photos I've seen of new builds. I wonder how many plumbers follow this rule.

Well ive been reading a few reveiws and its seems generally they are fine at detecting copper pipe, its just ac current in cables and wooden studs are the problem with false detection

Its pipework im worried about, i can deal with a damaged cable(i hope lol)

I like the idea of IR imaging to find pipes though. An the flir series have some decent ones at reasonable price that can be used with a smart phone.

Went through my first pipe in 15 years today, my worst nightmare when i saw water dribble out the wall i died inside. oddly enough it turned out to be a dribble from dead leg.

I have always relied on zones but today i went into what was a dead central heating pipe, (according to the emergency plumber).

anyone recommend a good detector?
Hi Chris,

I really feel for you. The same happened to me a while ago and your heart just drops and panic sets in!!!!

Since then I have done the following..

1. Really take your time when cutting through floorboards. Try and take floorboards up that have already been up, therefore no sawing required. If you are going to saw then work out the depth of the floorboards and cut ever so slightly less and just snap the last bit. maybe even take other floorboards up that require no sawing, put a camera down and look over to where you are going to be cutting.

2. look at where radiators are, is their likely to be pipes where you are about to cut.

3. Don't rely on a pipe/cable finder, there are no reliable ones, they just confuse you with their false readings.

4. Get these.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberger-Kibosh-Emergency-Repair-Plastic/dp/B00JOCTVL4.
There is a 15mm one and a 22mm one for the popular pipe sizes. However, they are only useful if you can actually get the clamp around the pipe, i.e a single pipe by itself with no others right next to it.

5. Go on a DIY plumbing course or at least go on the net and learn how to make an emergency repair to a pipe.

6. If you do go through a pipe, either in the wall or floorboards just get to the pipe as quickly as possible. Dont worry about making a mess of the wall or floorboards as that is nothing compared to the damage the water will be doing!

7. Have a plumbers number in your phone.

8. If you cannot do any of the above, just run away........ quickly!

Hi Chris,

I really feel for you. The same happened to me a while ago and your heart just drops and panic sets in!!!!

Since then I have done the following..

1. Really take your time when cutting through floorboards. Try and take floorboards up that have already been up, therefore no sawing required. If you are going to saw then work out the depth of the floorboards and cut ever so slightly less and just snap the last bit. maybe even take other floorboards up that require no sawing, put a camera down and look over to where you are going to be cutting.

2. look at where radiators are, is their likely to be pipes where you are about to cut.

3. Don't rely on a pipe/cable finder, there are no reliable ones, they just confuse you with their false readings.

4. Get these.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberger-Kibosh-Emergency-Repair-Plastic/dp/B00JOCTVL4.
There is a 15mm one and a 22mm one for the popular pipe sizes. However, they are only useful if you can actually get the clamp around the pipe, i.e a single pipe by itself with no others right next to it.

5. Go on a DIY plumbing course or at least go on the net and learn how to make an emergency repair to a pipe.

6. If you do go through a pipe, either in the wall or floorboards just get to the pipe as quickly as possible. Dont worry about making a mess of the wall or floorboards as that is nothing compared to the damage the water will be doing!

7. Have a plumbers number in your phone.

8. If you cannot do any of the above, just run away........ quickly!

Thank you for listing the clamps i ordered them straight away, what a good idea!

Reply to Good pipe and cable wall tracer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock